Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my 08 bonnie out of the garage after a long winter of and noticed a fluid leak. It's still under warranty so I brought it to the dealer. Oil is leaking from the valve cover gasket and the wire/plug that goes into the altinator. How crazy is that. Since there is a leak in 2 spots the service guy said they are going to continue to check the bike to see if there are any other problems. He mentioned an engine breater, but i'm not sure what that is?

Good thing it's still under warranty. The service department ordered the parts and I should hear back from the Thursday to see if they uncovered anything else.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
The valve cover gasket is a very common issue, no worries there.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Since there is a leak in 2 spots the service guy said they are going to continue to check the bike to see if there are any other problems. He mentioned an engine breater, but i'm not sure what that is?
The engine breather vents the crankcase to atmosphere. If the breather is blocked or restricted the crankcase can become pressurised or experience higher than normal pressures and this can cause seals and gaskets to leak.

The engine breather on our bikes vents through the airbox, if you have a look at the rear of the engine behind the cylinder block on top of the crankcase you will see a rubber tube running from the top of the crankcase to the airbox, this is the engine breather pipe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Aussie, now it makes sense why he would check the engine breather.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The engine breather vents the crankcase to atmosphere. If the breather is blocked or restricted the crankcase can become pressurised or experience higher than normal pressures and this can cause seals and gaskets to leak.

The engine breather on our bikes vents through the airbox, if you have a look at the rear of the engine behind the cylinder block on top of the crankcase you will see a rubber tube running from the top of the crankcase to the airbox, this is the engine breather pipe.
This is good and timely info as mine just started the slow cam cover leak also. The dealer said that it would be considered "normal" as the engine is not considered broken in until 6k miles(?). I'll check the breather myself.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The valve /cam cover leak may be common but after 26 months without the leak I thought mine had escaped the problem, now that it is out of warranty guess what .... I noticed a leak there two days ago.

This model is now about 9 years old, why do they still have oil leak problems? :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I heard back from the dealer on Thursday, they said it was all fixed and ready to go. I picked up the bike late Saturday, made it a few miles away and the bike just stalled on me. I tried restarting... nothing. I called up the dealer, they sent someone to pick me up/check out the bike. After the mechanic arrived the bike started up just fine. I took it for a ride up the block and back while the mechanic waited and it seemed fine. He explained they removed the fuel tank while fixing the leaks so there could have been an air pocket in the line that caused the engine to stop. (In the back of my head, I felt he thought I just left the fuel line in the OFF position.) So after a short embarrassing conversation he left, I got geared up and went to start the bike... nothing. I called back just in time, they came out and picked up the bike and said they would call on Monday.

I just got a call... They did some troubleshooting today and took a couple of test rides, on both test rides the bike stalled out and had to be picked up.

From the original leaks they changed the valve cover gasket and the Ignition Pickup. They think that it might be a faulty ignition pickup, but still are troubleshooting.

I'm glad all of this is still under warranty; it would have been a huge headache otherwise. The sv650 was happy, I took her out instead on Sat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts