Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in the airbox yesterday to plug off the air injection (SAIF system) which worked by the way. No popping now. AAAAnnnndd, I noticed some greasey looking oil in the lower rear part of the airbox. Not a lot, but just along the back edge. It was obviously coming from the crankcase breather hose. It wasn't real runny like fresh oil, but a little thick. I've got 10K miles on her and all is fine so far. Anyone else noticed any trace at all of oil in theirs? :???:

·
Registered
969 Posts
I havn't been in there yet, but plan on it. How did you block off the SAI? I've heard of people putting a marble in there, but i'm hesitant ot do that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had this happen to me once. The jackasses that changed the oil in my v star over filled it and it all went up into my air filter. Just put a little too much oil in and when it got hot it came out the breather.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Some greasy residue is normal. You will get some oily mist rising up the breather even if the bike is not overfilled.

So if the airbox was just a little damp and oily on the surface around breather then you are OK. If there was more than a little of actual fluid in there, then you might want to think about looking into this further.

By the sound of your description I think you should just clean it up and forget about it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Martin_R. I will watch the oil level though and make sure I'm not overfilling it. I wish it had an oil level window. It's so much easier and faster that way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Triple_Rider, I searched the archives and found that some guys just put duct tape over the hole, so I tried that as my first move. The popping did stop after blocking it! :-D I may later eliminate the whole system. I also taped over the so called 'drain hole' right in the same area. I didn't like having it open to the engine without being filtered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts