Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fitting a Norton type filter in the return line on my T140 project. Many people do this, using exactly the same type of filter block, which has both inlet and outlet pipes with 3/8" OD. The return oil line ID is 5/16" though. How do people overcome this? Just force 5/16" hose over the 3/8" stubs? Or what?

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
If you have a tapered punch/drift John, after getting the hose warm, slip it as far up the punch as you can and it will expand the hose a little so it will slide on easier. Being tapered will let you push it into the hose easier and remove it easier.

Little lube on the ID of the hose helps, too.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had already fitted a piece of 5/16" oil hose experimentally. I dipped the end in boiling water for a couple of minutes and sprayed WD40 on the stub. It started on ok but getting it fully home was an effort. And I worried that I might, unknowingly, have cut into the hose and chiselled a piece of it out of the middle, partly obstructing the hose. I can blow through it easily so probably not, but without X-Ray Specs, only way to tell is to cut it off. Making the ID tapered is a good idea, I'll try that next. Somebody has suggested that fitting a smaller dia hose than intended will cause the 'rubber' to shrink immediately after the end of the stub, after some time, restricting flow. No idea of the truth in this or whether the degree of shrinkage is enough to make the slightest difference. If plenty of other people have done this, that's good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
I guess if you are worried about shavings, shoving it on and off a couple of times will reduce the risk by skimming anything off?
then blast it through with an airline before final fitting.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a company in the US called McMaster Carr that sell brass barbed fitting with almost any hose I.D. to almost every pipe thread. Check it out.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
TT suggested you smooth the end of the stubs on the filter housing. I'd make them rounded and smooth. Then you cannot possibly shave the ID of the tube.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If stretching hoses not meant to be stretched bothers you.... with a home made tool swedge the filter head stubs, press in 5/16 stubs and silver soldier...Or I have also done the same with 3/8 tube that fits right over the 5/16 stubs...Use 3/8 hose..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts