Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I have an 03 Sprint ST that doesn't seem to be leaking oil, however I am losing it somewhere. There is no sign of leaking anywhere in my garage or on the bike it self.

I rode about 500 miles in the last week and went from full to 3 qts low. What do i need to check?? Where is the bike using this oil? I guess I need to get it into the shop, but am hoping to trouble shoot here so I have some idea what is up.

I have no complaints regarding the ride...only this oil thang. Oh ya, i have 12K on the bike and I use synthetic racing oil.

cheers and thanks in advance for any advice,
donna

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Hi demenshea,
I am no mechanic but I would be getting a compression test done or do it yourself if you have a guage.

That doesn't seem right to me.

My '04 ST has 30,000kms on it and I do use a little oil but not very much maybe 200mills between oil changes and I ride hard most of the time, my engine gets a real work over every time I ride which is just weekends.

I think with your low milage something is amiss.

What grade oil are you using?

Davem
:cool:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The bike should be pretty wet somewhere if it's leaking 3 qt per 500 miles.

Does it blow a lot of blue smoke? Something on the order of a stunt plane? I wouldn't expect it to be running well at all. The plugs should be fouled.

You didn't check the oil on the center stand the first time and side stand the second by any chance? Sorry, had to ask.

If all else checks out find the plugged airbox drain tube and pull the plug over a pan. I would also have a look inside the airbox for excess oil from the crankcase vent.
The engines can hydro-lock if they take much oil in the intake, check the airbox.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Donna,

Three quarts in 500 miles is a dramatic problem! Have you confirmed the levels with the bike on the center stand and the engine completely cold? (Even with a hot engine, it can take a while for the oil to run down to the sump.)

From previous threads on oil consumption, most ST's can go 6,000 miles between oil changes with little to no consumption.

The two most commonly raised causes of high consumption are a) glazed cylinder wall/rings and b) bad valve seals.

If your '03 wasn't using oil before, I don't think the cylinder walls would have suddenly glazed. A compression test would confirm or rule this out. If the compression test is good, then valve seals are a likely suspect.

A thread from an '01 ST raised a bad or poorly installed breather valve as a possible cause of high oil consumption.

Sorry to hear about the problem - good luck.
Bern

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm with CLB and PaloAlto on this one. If the air box isn't full (!) of oil, there has to be either a large puddle, a contaminated back tyre(and you'd know about that!) or severely restricted rear vision due to black smoke. Oil check procedure?
Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody. I guess first things first...that being a compression test.

I have to address a couple of things...the oil was checked when it was on the center stand cold. I have looked everywhere on the bike and in my garage and NO OIL...not anywhere.

So u think someone is messing with me??? :hammer:

The bike runs like a dream. Perfect acceleration and great handling. I have not noticed any lack of power, or smoke at all...maybe a small puff when i first start him in the cold, but not even sure if that is smoke or fog from the cold air. I just am not feeling anything wrong or seeing anything except the missing oil....geesus, weird.

I had the oil changed by the local dealer about 5 weeks ago and he put in synthetic racing oil...not that he asked me, as i am way less than an aggressive rider and could have saved some money. I think there hasta be something within the triple happening. I have no idea what since the bike rides well.

Guess i have to take him in....was hoping to solve it easier...like my husband telling me "april fool". No chance in that, i guess.

Thanks for the help.
d

·
Registered
204 Posts
An easy test to determine if the valves are leaking oil is to let the bike sit for a couple of days, preferably on the center stand. Then have someone start it and watch the exhaust color. If it is blue, your valves are leaking.

There was another way to check for blow-by or valves I read about in a VW repair book. I don't remember for certain but I *believe* it went like this. Find a hill and drive up it, slightly loading the engine (in ND go a gear to much, you're in the mts, so maybe not) if it exhausts blue smoke the rings are suspect. On the down side of the hill, let it coast in gear, blue smoke here is valves.

If anyone sees an error in this let me know, I am going on memory here.

rash

ps - 12k is about time for the first valve check. Has that service been done? Possibly something from that.

[ This message was edited by: rash_powder on 2006-11-25 20:16 ]

·
Registered
924 Posts
Three quarts in 500 miles, WOW! That bike should be blowing smoke like a smoke stack! I agree with all that was said before. I would just like to emphasize that measuring the oil level isn't as obvious as it may seem. Sorry if this is stating the obvious but this should make certain we aren't overlooking something. It should be done on the center stand or at least with the bike totally upright and level. As previously mentioned, the stick needs to be wiped clean then inserted to the bottom of the threads. Full is to the center line between the two cross hatched flat spots. IMO opinion the most precise measurement is to run the engine to full operating temp then let set for about five minutes before measuring. I have had my bike measure low, added almost a quart to bring it up to proper level, then after a three hundred mile ride the level was at the top of the stick. Common Sprint oil leakage areas are the valve guides, primary sprocket seal, and blow by into the air cleaner.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My Sprint was eating oil and after pulling /replacing head with a newly redone one,and seeing that the ylinders looked good with no carbon build up anywhere I was stumped. Until someone pointed me to the breather seal on the left side engine cover. If it is bad it will allow oil to be ingested into airbox--I never saw pools of oil or that in the airbox so I am guessing it was aerated enough to be sucked up and burnt. I also never saw blue smoke out the tailpipe or smelled it.
But when I pulled that sidecover off there was more than a bit of oil on the airbox side of that seal. I just replaced it and so far it seems to be working, miles will tell for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts