Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I think I see the question. That is, should the Thackeray washer be against the rocker or the rocker box [casting]? Or to put it another way, should the plain washer (or thrust washer) be against the rocker or the rocker box? In other words, which of the two differing quotes is right?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yes, the scroll finally came along with the 1973 model year, but they continued to put the flat washer against the rocker box... go figure.
This was a statement of fact, not a quote. OK so lets break this down... both the lack of the scroll and the placement of the washers was wrong on models produced mid-1969 through 1972. In 1973 they corrected the scroll that provided a pathway for oil to flow out to the ends of the rockers but they didn't correct the washers. They left them against the rocker box... go figure.

Doesn't go figure have any meaning here? To me it means they continued to do something stupid.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Hi johntioc, Thanks for the reply. I understand exactly what you mean about all now. Next time I have inspection covers off I'll examine the washer postions & where the ends of the thackeries are & if possible... see if they get caught on recess on rocker end. Also I will for sure start motor with covers off & see what oil does in real life & if possible, spin thackery to flat part against rocker & see the effect it may make. Very interesting subject.
Don

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Getting the Thackeray washer out of the notch on the side of the rocker won't improve lubrication.
The flat washer is still not there against the rocker to direct oil to where it should go.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I just went and looked at my rocker boxes and the washers are in wrong - against the box ends. The rockers move freely for having the washers installed wrong. I took a picture of it and maybe you can see it.

I went into the workshop manual to see how to remove the spindle and on page 86, figure B4 it shows the thrust washer against the rocker box end - so, the parts book shows the washer against the rocker and the "workshop manual is wrong" by showing it against the rocker box!

This 76 T140v engine has been sitting for at least 30 years and was sold to me by a friend who obtained it second or third hand some how. My friend gave me a little history about the engine before he passed away. He said, that he was told, it had about 10,000 miles on the rebuild and was running when they last used it. One of the PO's converted it to a right hand shift and I'm going to put it in my 70 Bonneville frame. I guess it's possible the rocker boxes have never been rebuilt and they are still the way they came from the factory. Or if they were rebuilt the builder could have put it back together according to the workshop manual. Maybe it just doesn't make much difference where we put the washer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Hi Jontioc, Went riding today, about 60 miles with 1/2 on freeway. Was visualizing the rocker oiling. Anyway, thinking of washer positions & looking at Codeman's boxes, how do move the right end washers as they are ID 3/8" while the others are 1/2" ID? Is that why Meriden kept the old way? In any case you'd need 2 more 1/2" washers, then let shafts slide over to right the thickness of washer or reduce OD of 3/8 washer to 3/8 & slide a 1/2" washer over it. See what I mean?
Depending on weather will be a few months before next valve adj. to test flow visually.
Don

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yes, you need to get 2 more washers and previous full discussions of this have included this point. We spelled the full procedure in the TIOC's Vintage Bike some years back and in various threads on Britbike over the past ten years.

The only place where the parts manual, shop manual, and the actual motorcycles have the washer next to the rocker is the Trident. It was in the development of the trident at Umberslade Hall where this bit of engineering was born.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts