Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question I'm hoping someone could answer for me, I've got a 2007 carb 790 America that's due for an oil change. What I'm trying to find out is this, does the carb 790 use the same oil filter as the 865 EFI. I'm trying to find out before I spend my hard earned cash on one.

Cheers, Jerry

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2008 Bonneville 865 EFI and it takes the Hiflo Filtro 204 , after a quick Google it would appear your bike takes the same .
Brilliant thanks for that, I did some checking around on the net myself and to be honest I just got more confused. That Hiflo filter's a good price but I was going to get an original Triumph item, a bit pricier I know. Are those Hiflo filter's any good?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Brilliant thanks for that, I did some checking around on the net myself and to be honest I just got more confused. That Hiflo filter's a good price but I was going to get an original Triumph item, a bit pricier I know. Are those Hiflo filter's any good?
I've used them for years , they're equal to or better than industry standard , about half the price of a Triumph filter and in a lot of cases OEM filters are rebranded Hiflo .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here's another revelation , check out item no's 2 and 7 oil filter and fuel filter , the Triumph EFI fuel filters are rebranded Mahle filters and 4 times the price .

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used Hiflo air filters in the past but was never to sure about the oil filters. I checked earlier today and the Hiflo HF204 seems to be right for my bike like you say, I just wasn't sure about the their quality.

Thanks again, Jerry

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's another revelation , check out item no's 2 and 7 oil filter and fuel filter , the Triumph EFI fuel filters are rebranded Mahle filters and 4 times the price .

This is the thing, obviously Triumph don't actually make their own filters they just re-brand them to suit, so unless someone like yourself puts the effort into researching the item, then you don't really know where they come from.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You can even get a chrome one if thats your thing, I think I'll stick with the standard colours though

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is the thing, obviously Triumph don't actually make their own filters they just re-brand them to suit, so unless someone like yourself puts the effort into researching the item, then you don't really know where they come from.
I've owned , maintained and serviced the same Bonneville for 12 years , and never had the sort of money to just ride it to the dealer and tell them to do what they need to do . Some folk probably appreciate the convenience of a one stop shop and don't worry about astronomical service and parts costs . All OEM consumables are crazy money . You would think that most people wouldn't dream of getting their tyres fitted at a dealer , but maybe they do . Triumph want about £350 a piece for the stock Metzelers !

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've owned , maintained and serviced the same Bonneville for 12 years , and never had the sort of money to just ride it to the dealer and tell them to do what they need to do . Some folk probably appreciate the convenience of a one stop shop and don't worry about astronomical service and parts costs . All OEM consumables are crazy money . You would think that most people wouldn't dream of getting their tyres fitted at a dealer , but maybe they do . Triumph want about £350 a piece for the stock Metzelers !
I do whatever I can to maintain my own stuff, servicing, swapping chains and sprockets and the like but I will admit that this time I'm taking my bike in to a local bike shop to get the rear tyre changed, just can't be arsed with the hassle of taking the wheel out and getting it to a fitter.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I buy the Triumph oil filter for $9.99 at the Triumph Dealer in Oshkosh Wisconsin. ($15.99 list I believe) Castrol Actevo 4T 10w - 40 semi synthetic for $18.97 a gallon from Walmart online. (although I think it has been raised to $23.34) It pays to shop around.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quick question I'm hoping someone could answer for me, I've got a 2007 carb 790 America that's due for an oil change. What I'm trying to find out is this, does the carb 790 use the same oil filter as the 865 EFI. I'm trying to find out before I spend my hard earned cash on one.

Cheers, Jerry
I see your'e in Bournemouth Cheerfull , I'm in Wilts and get down to the south coast regularly , maybe we should meet up for an ice cream at West Bay or somewhere when the weather sorts itself out :cool:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see your'e in Bournemouth Cheerfull , I'm in Wilts and get down to the south coast regularly , maybe we should meet up for an ice cream at West Bay or somewhere when the weather sorts itself out :cool:
I haven't been down to west bay for years, I didn't live to far from there when I was growing up. It is a pleasant ride along the coast road all the way from Poole to Bridport, a few twisty's and some nice straights, a bit for everyone really. Yeah it would be good to have a blast down there when the weathers good, I'll hold you to that.
Where in Wilts are you?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I buy the Triumph oil filter for $9.99 at the Triumph Dealer in Oshkosh Wisconsin. ($15.99 list I believe) Castrol Actevo 4T 10w - 40 semi synthetic for $18.97 a gallon from Walmart online. (although I think it has been raised to $23.34) It pays to shop around.
I was going to get an original Triumph filter, but as Daddy Cool says these are only made for Triumph by a third party then Triumph add a bit for the name. Although I 'spose if it is made for Triumph then it has to meet their standards. I've read good reviews about Hiflo filters on many a site and a lot of riders rate them so I'm going to give one a go. I used to use K&N oil filters, but from what I have seen the one I need to fit a Triumph twin isn't up to much.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven't been down to west bay for years, I didn't live to far from there when I was growing up. It is a pleasant ride along the coast road all the way from Poole to Bridport, a few twisty's and some nice straights, a bit for everyone really. Yeah it would be good to have a blast down there when the weathers good, I'll hold you to that.
Where in Wilts are you?

I'm in Swindon , but get all over on the bike , the West bay to Weymouth road is a good'n , up over the top overlooking Chesil Beach and down through Abbotsbury .

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Triumph filter part number T1210444 or T1218001 fits all modern Triumphs including yours and the other Bonnies

you can also use a WIX 51358, I have for years. rumour is Triumph use these and re-brand them

1 - 20 of 28 Posts