Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm looking for a "short" filter that fits the 865 engine so it doesn't hang down too low. Is there someone who has successfully used one of the shorter offerings that are available (without leaks), that can make a recommendation? I'm looking for something readily available in the US. Thanks

·
Driftless Admin
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The Triumph OEM filter does not extend below the frame rails. Same for the M1-108, it is the same dimensions as the OEM. I'm sure several of the other recommended above as well. There are a few that are a little longer and subject to crushing if you're not careful with a jack, one of the NAPA/Wix recommendations (but I forget which).

Were you hoping for something shorter than the OEM one?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok thanks. And no, not shorter than OEM, just something that won't get crushed or hit with a stone, etc. from hanging down lower than necessary/OEM. Assuming the M1-108 seals well, it sounds like it's the way to go since I can pick those up locally. Shipping is nearly as much as a filter otherwise. Thanks for your reply and informative thread.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I now use O'reilly's Microgard oil filters they are made by Wix (I think) and have the same filtering specs and only 1/3 the cost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cross referencing a Finnish filter manufacturers catalog I found out that the filter for Triumphs is a very common one. I usually shop for a filter for Nissan Qashqai 2.0 gasoline -car. It fits perfectly. The oil/filter change interval for the said Nissan is 30000km for a 2.0 liter car engine, so it is more than adequate for a oil change in my America. The price is a lot lower than for a "proper" motorcycle oil-filter and I can buy one from any parts store.
What was the part number you were using?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why didn't I read this thread before I just did my oil change?? I used the Purolator 14612 and have experienced a small constant leak since installation. New K&N is on the way from Amazon, but come on! Why would they change after I've been using that filter for 10 years!?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
The list of Honda, Yamaha, Kawa, etc etc filters that fit is about two pages long, look up cross ref. oil filter______X

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi haustorium,

I just got a 2010 Thruxton and I want to do my first oil change, you mention the K&N filter (KN-204?) which I am planning on buying on Amazon. What kind of oil are you uisng? I've read quite a few lengthy threads here about which oil to use? Is there a standard one I can use? This is what the handbook says:

Semi or fully synthetic 10W/40 or 15W/50 motorcycle engine oil which meets specification API SH or higher (i.e. SJ, SK or SL) AND JASO MA.

Can I just buy the KN-204 filter and the 10W/40 oil? I don't ride a lot, I just take the bike to and from work as a daily ride and drive it for an hour or 2 on the weekends so I am not looking to get performance.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just found the local(sort of) Autozone store carries Fram PH6017S for $6.79 and Castrol full synthetic oil, along with the K&N filter, but the K&N costs almost twice as much.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Went your route with the Fram filter and Mobil 1 Full Syn. 15W/50 from Wally world. All well after about 4,000 miles on my 2013 Thruxton. Now have to garage it for the winter season here in Michigan. Any advice on storage/oil change intervals appreciated. Should I change oil or put couple more miles on,given full syn? If changing should I wait until Spring or do it now, before the temps. really drop??

·
Registered
62 Posts
oil filter that fit v2

Hello

I went to my local auto store (Supercheap) to buy a Ryco Z436 and they also have a Ryco Z436ST. The Ryco website http://www.rycofilters.com.au/products/syntec calls this the syntec range and claims it to be a much better filter. Has anyone used this in place of the Ryco Z436 or would like to pass comment on the claims.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
69 Posts
Napa was positive that their filter was the same as the M1-108. I compared to my stock Triumph filter,,,,, hmmmm. Not sure, but for a few bucks, supporting my local stealership and the folks that work there, I will stick with the stock filter until fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Are the air cooled and water cooled Bonnies the same filter? I'm coming up on 500 miles and ready to do the 1st oil change. Now I'm a little skeptical about not using a Triumph filter!

·
Driftless Admin
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It would seem that Triumph is still using the same filter for the water cooled bikes, click on "what it fits": https://www.triumphestore.com/p/Triumph__/Oil-Filter--OES/59763168/T1218001.html

I'm surprised, I'd have assumed the WC filter would have extra sensors so it could communicate with the ECU ;)

I just use the Triumph filters now. Got a couple in the mail just yesterday along with some other parts. They are no more expensive than the M1-108, and I'm tired of worrying about some change in design in the alternatives causing me grief.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ok, yeah, I'm cheap! $13.00 for a filter plus $7.00 for shipping!?!?!? By my math that's $20 for an oil filter! It just seems a little excessive. Is this the cheapest place online?

·
Driftless Admin
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I think $13 is about as cheap as you can get them, not sure. I only bought a couple online because I was buying other parts already, and there was flat shipping, so there was no extra shipping cost to have the filters thrown in too. I used to just pick them up at the local dealer, but they gave up Triumph. If I couldn't get them for $13 I'd probably just run to Autozone and grab a M1-108 for about the same price.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts