Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmmmm....checked out the HF204 link. I still find it odd that they don't state my '13 Bonne SE as fitting specifically. '13 Steve McQueen, yes. Plain Bonne, yes. T100, yes. Bonne SE, just up to '12. Is it specifically my bash plate? Other Bonne SE's didn't come with those too?

·
Driftless Admin
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I thought Triumph didn't market any Bonnevilles as an "SE" in 2013? I forget. No, wait, this: http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/223394-2013-bonnie-se.html. I think that might be why the SE is only listed through 2012.

Anyways, there's just one filter for all the 865 Bonnies. For instance, the Triumph website offers just one filter for all the Bonnevilles. It'll fit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting BB, crazy to think my matte black and cranberry with red frame isn't a special edition! My dealer certainly called it a special edition, but I guess what else WOULD you call it?
But all that aside, it's good to know all shorter filters will fit! Thank you for digging that link out too....
Oh, I just looked at my invoice. The dealer called it an SE2!? Ha. I feel special now.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Let's get the current knowledge of what oil filters work on the Twins compiled, and we'll replace the current sticky which is silly long. I'll do my best to keep this top post updated and keep this thread fairly clean.

Mobil M1-108 (and longer M1-110)
Mobil motorcycle-specific M1MC-134
Just changed oil and filter today. I noted that Mobil 1 does not list the M1-108 as a motorcycle filter.

Even though we say it "fits" why would we list a filter that the manufacturer themselves does not say fits?

After I changed the oil. I noticed the bike snapped back to idle very quickly after I throttle it, more than normal. Don't think it was my imagination. I started to wonder if there was some issue with oil pressure. (Yes, my oil is is correct level). I began to imagine some restrictions in the oil system because of the filter, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Thinking of going back and just getting one of the filter specifically listed for our bikes by the manufacturer.

·
Driftless Admin
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Lot's of those filters listed are off-application, which bit some of the Purolator and NAPA users recently when they changed the design so they didn't fit the Triumphs anymore. The list is of filters that are easier to get, cheaper and/or considered "better" by some.

NAPA lists the Bonneville as an application for their 1358, but that filter is longer than OEM (or M1-108) and hangs below the guardrail some. So even using only manufacturer-recommended filters has its issues.

If it worries you, just buy OEM filters next time you're at the dealer. They are a few dollars cheaper than the 108 anyways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just my two cents but I always buy the OEM filters for my bikes and cars. In the rare case they fail, the vehicle manufacturer is more likely to help with the repairs than the aftermarket is. Sure they cost more but there are better ways to save than saving a couple of dollars on a filter.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Oil filter

Emgo 10-26920 fit the Triumph, and they are a bit wider and about 1/2" shorter than the AC PF2135. Plus it has an O-ring gasket on top which the old PF2135's had. Now they have a small flat gasket instead.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I tried to use a Mazda oil filter and it didn't work. They must have given me the wrong year like from a later Mazda maybe.

It would not bolt all the way up leaving a gap between the rubber o ring and the housing.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mahle OC575 is a high quality filter that fits well.
+1. I have been doing a lot of research and it seems this is best bang for the buck. I plan on ordering few and will post pics when the opportunity arises. They are only $4.97 each at Rock Auto

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Does anyone use the Ryco RMZ-119 in Australia ?
bit late getting back on this one

havent tried myself, but Ryco does now market moto specific oil filters and RMZ119 are listed in the Ryco catalogue for the Hinkley Bonneville family, so no reason why they should not be included in the list

dimensionally they are very similar to the Z436 and maybe the same painted black but probably cost more and only available from motorbike shops

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Lot's of those filters listed are off-application, which bit some of the Purolator and NAPA users recently when they changed the design so they didn't fit the Triumphs anymore. The list is of filters that are easier to get, cheaper and/or considered "better" by some.

NAPA lists the Bonneville as an application for their 1358, but that filter is longer than OEM (or M1-108) and hangs below the guardrail some. So even using only manufacturer-recommended filters has its issues.

If it worries you, just buy OEM filters next time you're at the dealer. They are a few dollars cheaper than the 108 anyways.
Or just order them from Hermy's for the suggested price of $9.99 and not have to deal with motorcycle or auto stores and instead Ride while they are delivered to the house.
But hey if people find Adventure Searching Out the shelves at Walmart and other places on their off time instead of riding that's there thing.
I do enjoy all the Work they go through for something most of them only do Maybe 1 time a year.

"I saved $4 !!! Screw You Triumph!!! You aint ripping me off!!! Now where is my Triumph shrrt and hat and jacket so I can go hang out at some sport bar"

http://www.triumphestore.com/a/Triumph_2013_ScramblerEFI/_51507_5780236/Lubrication-System/100053567-2-2.html

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I've used the Fram 6607 the last two times. Yes it's orange. I like the black rough stuff on it that makes taking it off a breeze. Next time I will buy one early and paint it black. $4 at autozone after my Veteran discount.

Oh and I was wearing one of my Triumph T-shirts. Makes it a smoother operation.
And using the kill switch gets more oil to drain out. Who knew?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
My first two oil changes, (2013 Mag wheel) at 500 and 3500 miles, I used Triumph filters. This weekend I changed oil at 6500 miles and used the Pur One PL14612. It bumped up hard against the engine, and did not want to do the standard 3/4 spin on that one expects from an oil filter, which I thought was weird, but hey, tightened it up, and never gave it a thought after that. An oil filter is an oil filter, right? I took a short ride yesterday, and this morning noticed a small puddle on the floor. It is the oil filter leaking. Now I like PurOne's, they are my go to filter on all my bikes, but this one is not working satisfactorily on the Bonneville, so it will be coming off on Friday as soon as my Amazon order gets here and I will be using OEM filters with an o-ring in the future. Also, the PL14612 is 1/2' longer than the Triumph filter and does not allow installation of the bash plate on the bottom. If it had not leaked, my plan was to shape the center of the bash plate to fit over the longer filter, but that idea is obviously getting scrubbed too. Hope this helps someone.

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
The oil filter cross ref. was one of the first great pieces of information I found when joining the forum. Thanks to all that gathered the info.
I installed the Fram. PH6017 and it fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The Ryco Z445 filter fitted the Triumph filter wrench, for those that have gone to the Z436, a Suzuki filter wrench fits, but not the Triumph one.

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
The oil filter cross ref. was one of the first great pieces of information I found when joining the forum. Thanks to all that gathered the info.
I installed the Fram. PH6017 and it fit perfectly.
Mistake - I meant to state I use the PH6607 car filter with no problems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Glad I came back to this post.

I just changed the oil in my 07 Scrambler and I used the PL14612 that I always use. And was rewarded with a nice puddle of oil under the bike the next day. And yes, I do recall that the filter didn't really tighten down in the same ol' reassuring way when I installed it.

So I'm going to give the K&N version a try. Mostly because I don't want yet another filter socket lying around. I'm hoping the filter diameter doesn't interfere with the skid plate- the Purolator was pretty close up to it.

I appreciate the sharing of knowledge this forum provides tremendously. Thanks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Glad I came back to this post.

I just changed the oil in my 07 Scrambler and I used the PL14612 that I always use. And was rewarded with a nice puddle of oil under the bike the next day...
Did the same and didn't have a leak until after a 400+ mile ride over the Rockies, through all the twisties to the west slope. Next day had a puddle. You could see where the hex hit the filter thread base. Used a Carquest crossover (that had the concave thread base) to get back home. Pulling that off today, removing the nipple, chucking it up and machining down the hex to the point that it will never interfere with ANY filter, concave, convex or whatever!

21 - 40 of 80 Posts