Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say some idiot (totally not me) bought a 2005 995i oil filter for his 1999 885i bike, would it work?

Cheers

·
Registered
830 Posts
Triumph have used 2 filters from day one. An internal paper filter, or external spin on filter. If you have a spin on filter, then it's the right one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did something similar, I mean a 'friend' did something similar. Bought an oil filter for an early 955i, instead of a later one, then I had to buy another correct one.

Not sure about the 885 as HiFlo don't list one, but the 955i uses a (HiFlo) HF191 up to 2003 and a HF204 for 04-06.

K&N list the same one for an 885, and all versions of 955i

·
Registered
28 Posts
What's better about these compared to the band style ones? My filter wrench has a band that loops back to itself at the end of a handle. It's always done the job on every vehicle I've worked on.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The issue with the 955i and the 885i is the filter sits in a recess and you can't get a spanner on it. Kind of a pain by finger tips and more of a pain with pliers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did something similar, I mean a 'friend' did something similar. Bought an oil filter for an early 955i, instead of a later one, then I had to buy another correct one.

Not sure about the 885 as HiFlo don't list one, but the 955i uses a (HiFlo) HF191 up to 2003 and a HF204 for 04-06.

K&N list the same one for an 885, and all versions of 955i
The HF191 and HF204 is the same filter, HIFLO changed the part number for some reason.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The HF191 and HF204 is the same filter, HIFLO changed the part number for some reason.
That's good then, it means I have a spare for the next oil change, thanks :beerchug

Strange that they still list them as separate but I never compared the size when I did the last change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts