Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be the first time changing my oil on my D1200 and I was looking at filters and was wondering if there's any difference between an OEM one or a Wix or K&N.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Differences...

In my experience over some 30 odd years of riding, the greatest effect of various oil filters had more to do with the frequency of replacement than the brand. Of course, staying with a known name brand is always a good idea as the el cheapo no name brands can leave a bit to be desired as regards quality of material. I tend to think that going with the best price (again while sticking with known brands) and changing the filter regularly (Triumph advises a change with each oil change) is your best bet. Of course, after reading through reams of forum material here and on other forums, regarding all things connected to oil, there may be a few different views but in the end they all seem to indicate that regular oil and filter changes are good. Changing your oil and filter every two or three years or 20,000 to 30,000 KM is not so good.:)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I think Andy's pretty well covered it. I'll just add that the CalSci oil filter page, which recommends certain filters for the newer bikes, makes no recommendation for any particular brand for the T3s. (Which take the same filter as a lot of other bikes, including Kawasaki KZ400s and Ninja 250s.)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's wonderful that the EX250R shares filters with a D1200, my wife has a lil Ninja, mabey if I buy in bulk I'll be set for a few years. I would never go more than 3,000 mi without changing the oil in my bikes. I like turning wrenches so its no biggie for me. Since I'm using Amsoil I might buy some Wix filters, cheaper than OEM Kawai ones for the wife's bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I use WIX on the T3 because they're readily available.

I did notice that the K&N that I put in the dirt bike (DRZ400) has a lot more media in it (more pleats) than the other brands I had on the shelf for the same bike (57 pleats K&N vs. 36 stock vs. 44 HIFLO).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts