Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing oil change on 2012 Speedmaster & if oil filter had a nut on it I would say must have been done up with a rattle gun!!!!
Workshop manual does mention a torque measure but my hand isn't calibrated so dunno how tight should be.
Used to on cars about 2/3 turn after gasket seats, would this be the same???

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Yes, same as what you're used to. I do 1/2 to 3/4 turn after gasket seats.

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
There's a torque spec quoted, it's 10 Nm (7.37 Lbs/ft) just over hand-tight. Filters are easily fitted, removed and torqued by using the Triumph filter tool:

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Two types of rubber gaskets on oil filters. Flat profile vs rounded(O-ring). The flat style needs less torque than the O-ring style. Just in case you buy a filter and the shape of the gasket is different from what you are currently using.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I started buying the K&N because they have the nut. Torque to spec when putting on and easy off if you can't get it with your hand.

Love the torque wrench for the drain plug also.

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
Over here in that states at least, those things can be had from about any auto part store, no need for a triumph specialty tool. Usually a bit shallower and silver. They are the bee's nuts, or whatever that saying is.
Indeed, but watch out because there are several different sizes, Autozone for example, has 7 different ones. We need the 65mm Diameter and 14 flats model. Preferably made of steel.

http://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-filter-wrench?pageNumber=1

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
10-4 on the 1/2 to 3/4 turn once seated. Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but be sure to wipe the rubber o-ring on the new filter with fresh oil to it seals properly.

And be sure to pre-fill the new filter with fresh oil. It will gurgle and settle down so be patient and fill it almost to the top before installing on the bike. This will help avoid any air pockets and/or oil cavitation on start-up.

The hex head tack welded to the bottom of K&N filters is a real handy feature for getting filters on & off. But... I have had two (2) fail on me so far. A slow leak from the tack weld(s) left a puddle under my bikes as well as a soaked rear tire. I still use K&N filters, but I watch for leaks religiously.

/M

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
There's a torque spec quoted, it's 10 Nm (7.37 Lbs/ft) just over hand-tight. Filters are easily fitted, removed and torqued by using the Triumph filter tool:

Two types of rubber gaskets on oil filters. Flat profile vs rounded(O-ring). The flat style needs less torque than the O-ring style. Just in case you buy a filter and the shape of the gasket is different from what you are currently using.
Interesting.... Might I ask what Trumpet now recommends as a Torque for their stock filters? As you see they now sell 2 different filters under the same part # and not only do they differ in flow and size but the gasket comes in both flavors now too.

I would especially like to ask those who stated I was "Over Reacting" in asking any questions about it in my thread about it a few months back....

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/525065-trumpet-oil-filter-t1218001-change.html

thanks for listening

·
Registered
915 Posts
Wipe off the sealing area on the engine case before installing the new filter - get any grit, crap, etc., off of it. Fill the new filter with oil. Wipe a bit of clean oil on the gasket of the new filter. Tighten to about 1/2 turn if a flat gasket, a bit tighter if a round gasket.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Interesting.... Might I ask what Trumpet now recommends as a Torque for their stock filters? As you see they now sell 2 different filters under the same part # and not only do they differ in flow and size but the gasket comes in both flavors now too.

I would especially like to ask those who stated I was "Over Reacting" in asking any questions about it in my thread about it a few months back....

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/525065-trumpet-oil-filter-t1218001-change.html

thanks for listening

You don't imagine that Triumph make these Triumph-branded filters themselves do you? They will come from one of perhaps 20 to 30 different filter manufacturers around the world.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
He knows that. But, Triumph is selling a physically different filter with the same part #. The filters may filter the same and worrying about the change may not be necessary, however, the fact that one has a flat gasket and the other one is a rounded O-ring type, does necessitate a difference in tightening. The flat gasket style generally only needs to be made hand tight after making contact whereas the O-ring style needs more torque from a oil filter wrench, type of your choosing. It really depends upon how strong your hands are. I personally use a wrench to tighten, but I'm careful not to go too far.

When I owned a SV650S, Suzuki recommended 2.5 turns after making contact. The Suzuki filters had an O-ring style gasket. It's not possible to tighten that much using a band style wrench which I used. I almost got to two turns. Never had an issue with removal. So, there is a recognized difference in torque between the two gasket styles. It should state the method of tightening on the box the way spark plugs of different styles do.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The newer "flat gasket" filter says to tighten to 8-12 nm. The older "o ring" filter says the same thing.I say newer and older because Triumph changed the part number with the change to the new "flat gasket" filter. But apparently they are relabeling the older "o ring" filter boxes with new bar codes and the new part number until they run out of them.As you can tell from the picture in one of the previous posts that there is a new label stuck over the old part number and bar code.The new filter also says "Castrol" on it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
He knows that. But, Triumph is selling a physically different filter with the same part #. The filters may filter the same and worrying about the change may not be necessary, however, the fact that one has a flat gasket and the other one is a rounded O-ring type, does necessitate a difference in tightening. The flat gasket style generally only needs to be made hand tight after making contact whereas the O-ring style needs more torque from a oil filter wrench, type of your choosing. It really depends upon how strong your hands are. I personally use a wrench to tighten, but I'm careful not to go too far.

When I owned a SV650S, Suzuki recommended 2.5 turns after making contact. The Suzuki filters had an O-ring style gasket. It's not possible to tighten that much using a band style wrench which I used. I almost got to two turns. Never had an issue with removal. So, there is a recognized difference in torque between the two gasket styles. It should state the method of tightening on the box the way spark plugs of different styles do.
Why that fact is getting lost on so many is baffling to me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts