Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if I'm heading down to Pep Boys, what am I looking for?

I remember passing on the $17 Triumph oil filter and getting the same Champion filter at WalMart for $1.96. Yummy!

And so...I've just sold my 675 and going to pick up my Speed III in the next few weeks...need some parts!!

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bohdan is right. There is a great site that did research on filters here:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

That Purolator Pure One is the best. I bought a #P14612 from Pep Boys. It's the same as the #P14610 but a tad longer. Since the filter fits vertical from the bottom, I had the room and wanted super good filtration from a large element. Either one works great. I paid $5.99.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Side question:
I'm gathering courage to do my first oil & oil filter change myself.
Do I really need the T3880312 tool (Service Manual, 8.8) to remove the oil filter?
I'm starting to think that if I have to ask, I should not mess with it... but what could possibly go wrong, right guys?
:D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Side question:
I'm gathering courage to do my first oil & oil filter change myself.
Do I really need the T3880312 tool (Service Manual, 8.8) to remove the oil filter?
I'm starting to think that if I have to ask, I should not mess with it... but what could possibly go wrong, right guys?
:D
You just need anything to grip the filter and make the first unscrewing turn - filter cup of proper size, filter wrench pliers, some clever gizmo adjusting to filter size... or screwdriver through filter works too :D
See few ideas here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/ducati-motorcycles/gt-1000/oil-change/
That's all. Gain the courage and try it, then you'll never go back and let anybody else do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Waste of money...

Screw the tool, I'm sorta newbish but my former racer buddy helped me change oil on my Daytona 675 last week before I sold it...if filter won't hand release, gentle drive a screwdriver (after draining oil) thru it with a hammer and twist. Voila..money in your pocket!

·
Registered
361 Posts
+10000 on Purolator Pure One.

Look for deals. A couple months ago I picked up 6 of the longer ones for like US$26 shipped! They are yellow and have a sandpaper-ish feel. The long one sticks out a bit under my bike, but it's no KLR and I'm not hopping curbs.

Talk about making the dealer a ripoff. I did my own 6k service.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You can get the oil filter wrench which plugs into a socket extension from cyclegear or Pepboys. Just grab the filter off the shelf and see which one fits.

Also, the drain plug on the left side of the engine takes a 13mm ( 1/2") socket or box wrench. It's not magnetic. I replaced it with a magnetic drain plug from ebay or you can buy them from magneticdrainplugs.com. It was about $8. I also put a magnet on the end of the filter made by filterdot for about $15 off ebay also. At the last oil change, I found a few black shavings on the drain plug. Not bad, but I know it's doing it's job. I took a hacksaw to the filter and found a few more shavings where the magnet attaches. The element was fairly clean inside. I change my oil every 2k with a full synthetic and new filter everytime.---but I run it hard near red line a lot and lead the sport bike riders.

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I just received my new filters from amazon, and am kinda pissed, because I thought I was getting the nice old style blue ones that were in the picture. I can get these ugly mustard colored ones down the street. Oh well. Live and learn...

·
Registered
113 Posts
K&N make a nice filter with a nut on the bottom that makes it much easier to remove.

·
Registered
458 Posts
LOL....ya the part numbers we mixed. The longer one hangs down about a half inch below the oil pan but I still can't see it unless I look under. I suppose if I change oil every 2k then the smaller standard element should be fine as it's the stock size. I figured the same price so what the heck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
K&N make a nice filter with a nut on the bottom that makes it much easier to remove.
Yes...I used K&N. Good filter too. They cost $14 and the Purolator is $6. Plus, the purolator has a larger element which is nice. The nut on the end of the K&N for $8 more ain't worth it to me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
FWIW, I ordered K&N filters for my Honda 600's and the S3. Same part number. Maybe only useful if you live next to Honda dealer...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts