Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like changing my oil often but
15 bucks for a Triumph oil filter is a bit much. Has anyone found an alternative filter such as a fram or super tech from wally world ?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
All Triumph spin-on filters are the same. They don't vary bike-to-bike. The automobile filters listed below tend to be longer, but shouldn't be a problem on your bike (makes a difference on a Bonneville where they stick down).

Motorcycle-Specific filters:
AC Delco PF2135
AMSoil SMF103
Fram PH6017A
Honda 15410-MCJ-000
K&N KN-191 (Has a metric nut on the end for easy removal)
NAPA Gold 1358
Carquest 85358
WIX 51358
Purolator Motorcycle ML16817 (imported filter)
STP SMO 07

Automobile Filters (about 2.5" long):
Mobil M1-108
Purolator Pure One PL14612
Bosh 3300
WalMart Supertech ST6607 (made by Champion)
AC Delco PF1237
NAPA Gold 1365
Purolator L14622
STP S-02876
Baldwin B1400
Hastings LF113

Frams are crap by the way. They came out on top in a Consumers Reports test because they were hard to clog. They're hard to clog because they don't filter anything.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Don't know that I would take a chance on cheap filters that may or may not properly in regards to anti drain-back valves etc. Personally I like the WIX filters, 51358 fits the Triumph 675 engines and is $11.50 @ O'Reilly's & seen them for as little as $8 online.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Don't know that I would take a chance on cheap filters that may or may not properly in regards to anti drain-back valves etc. Personally I like the WIX filters, 51358 fits the Triumph 675 engines....
Interesting experience today with this filter. Went up to O'Reilly's and bought the WIX 51358 for $6.00!! Got it home and it would not thread on to the bike. :confused:
Took it back and got a Mobil1 M1-110 instead. I don't know if the WIX just had bad threads or what, but I wasn't taking a chance on getting another bad one. Just thought I'd let everyone know of my experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I want the Purolator PL14612 PureOne filter but it's yellow! :( anyone spray paint filters? If so what high temp paint do you recommend?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want the Purolator PL14612 PureOne filter but it's yellow! :( anyone spray paint filters? If so what high temp paint do you recommend?
I've just used bog-standard Rustoleum that I had around:) and had no problem with it dropping off on a R6S or on the ST3R.

·
Registered
124 Posts
FYI-If you're using an aftermarket filter, pull it out of the box and make sure the center part in recessed like the one on the left. Filters like the one on the right with a raised center portion will make contact with the nut at the end of the threads on the bike and not allow the filter gasket to fully seat/seal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts