Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type of wrench do i need to change the filter on the thruxton. it's harder to get to than i thought. i purchased a cup type filter wrench from auto zone, size 65/67mm, but it keeps slipping. the next size down was too small. any suggestions? thanks.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Large channel locks worked this morning on my Bonnie. You don't need the old filter anyway, so it doesn't hurt to smash it up a bit getting it out.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Strap wrench might work. I have driven a screwdriver through one on a Ford to twist it off. It had been in place for 15 years.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I agree that K & N filter will help a lot. I bought the Wal-Mart Supertech 7317 it is longer & only $2.47. If it gives me trouble I'll spend the $11 on the K&N.
So this is how it was finally acomplished. Hammered a screw driver through and twisted it off. This was the first service. Gosh, that was nasty, stinky oil! I wish I'd changed it before 500 miles.
:-D

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
No,you needed that green crud in there the whole 500 miles to break that engine in right.. :-D

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yeah, that stuff's basically cutting oil, so it is necessary to keep it for 500. How happy is your bike now with new oil? Mine loves it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Smash the screw driver through it and twist off.Replace with a Ryco Z445,then you can use your auto oilfilter wrench from then on.
The ryco is the same filter just a bit larger and cheaper.
:hammer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts