Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Maybe had a speck of debris get caught in the pump check ball that has passed on through and is now (hopefully) resting comfortably in the freshly cleaned sludge tube. Keep an eye on that gage.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well I think I found the problem. The Oil pump gasket did not fit during installation so I had to modify it. Probably in the 10+ times refitting the gasket I must have torn it, which would explain the big tear. My hypothesis is that when the oil got hot it would pump into the timing case and the oil ways, instead of just the oil ways, so that would explain the low pressure. Anyway, I made a new gasket and went for another hard ride and all is well again. Goes to show...CHECK YOUR WORK....This was a potentially fatal f&*% up. NOT GOOD. :mad:

I've been very unhappy with the quality of gaskets recently. When I put the top end together this spring I made all my own gaskets (exception being the head gasket), and they were cut to fit a specific rocker box etc. And you know what? No leaks yet. Plus, it was a lot cheaper to make my own than to buy ones that I'd have to modify later anyway. It's tedious work, but satisfying work. Most of the holes for the majority of gaskets are 1/4'', so to make holes I just bought some 1/4'' brass tubing and used it with a small hammer as a hole punch. Works great!

Thanks for the inspiration Plewsy!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts