Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought my 2005 carby Bonneville 790. It has 2000ks on it and because it had been sitting for so long I decided to change the oil.

It had the fairly common problem of leaking oil at the rocker gasket at the top so I changed that along with the oil filter.
I drained the oil and refilled with Shell ASX 4T 15-50 and was very careful not to overfill.

I then went for a small ride today (20ks max) only to stop because oil was pouring out of everywhere! A large pool of oil formed underneath the bike and oil seemed to be seeping out of every possible place!

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any idea what has happened to my bike!?

Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Really need to clean all the oil up, then run the bike (on the stand) for a minute or two, watching carefuly to find out exactly where the oil is coming from. It probably is coming from just 1 place, and being spread everywhere

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Did you recover the old oil filter rubber gasket?. Is the new one in place on the filter and did you oil it lightly before screwing the filter cartridge on as per usual practice?.

Drain bolt crush washer in place?. They sometimes stick to the crankcase and then drop off into the old oil container.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Sounds like you might not have seated the cam cover gasket properly. Some owners have reported that it's difficult to get seated properly, although I've not had any trouble with it.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Sounds like you might not have seated the cam cover gasket properly. Some owners have reported that it's difficult to get seated properly, although I've not had any trouble with it.
I'll certainly vouch for this comment; it seems so simple a job, yet my several failures despite good advice from various threads here attest to it.

Check both areas for issues. Did you replace the 4 rubber washers on the cam cover? That's a requirement on this job, and the main gasket also if it looks at all crushed or 'squeezed' at various points.

Good Luck, you'll find the leak after a good cleaning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts