Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Triumph Adventurer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my adventurer for about a year now, when I first got it there were no issues with oil literally dripping from the air box from the crank case breather. But just recently I have noticed after every ride there is a little amount of oil dripping from the airbox drain hose that didn’t use to happen. The oil is not over filled and I have replaced the breather hose also due to kinks that were found but still hasn’t resolved the issue. If anyone has any ideas or has experienced this before please help me out.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
There's a fancy seal in the engine that helps separate the oil from the gasses. It is rumored that draining the oil without opening the fill port can cause the seal to turn inside out and loose effectiveness. Never happened to me, but...

Excess blow by can increase crankcase pressure and cause more oil to vent, as can too much oil in the sump.

I think that tube is supposed to have a plug in it to keep it from dripping, as well as prevent the engine from drawing in unfiltered air. There is a reservoir in the airbox to hold the sludge until you drain it, when you oil the chain.

·
Registered
2001 Triumph Adventurer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a fancy seal in the engine that helps separate the oil from the gasses. It is rumored that draining the oil without opening the fill port can cause the seal to turn inside out and loose effectiveness. Never happened to me, but...

Excess blow by can increase crankcase pressure and cause more oil to vent, as can too much oil in the sump.

I think that tube is supposed to have a plug in it to keep it from dripping, as well as prevent the engine from drawing in unfiltered air. There is a reservoir in the airbox to hold the sludge until you drain it, when you oil the chain.

Thank you for your reply! do you know if this seal easy to access or would it be a hassle to get too? And also what is a normal amount of oil blow by, In your opinion?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hallo,

The cap on the drain hose has not been on for 25 years without problems.
That's my choice.
( with carburettor synchronization no difference in vacuum )
The oil seal if it is broken only leaks a little.
Remove the middle cap from the new seal just before installation , leave the engine for at least an hour , so that the seal can settle.
Parts at a triumph dealer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
@ I collected about a tablespoon of oil every 1000 miles or so.

Once a years I disconnect the hose.

I collected about a tablespoon of oil every 5000 KM or so.
And the gasses don't go back to air filter again, if there is a leak now, it drips on the clutch cover.

·
Registered
168 Posts
@ Never happened to me, but...
@ but there was always a mist of oil around it.

I also saw that once at my oldest TBS , but after the oil seal change it was over.

Maybe your seal wasn't the best anymore ?

Even if I drive many kilometers on the autobahn in Germany on holiday without speed restriction, not a drop oil or mist.
But maybe I have very special or weird TBS and TBC just like the T1 and F1 sign at my rotor. o_O

And no condensation in the engine always warm and dry in the garage in the winter maybe because of that ??

But a nice solution.(y)

·
Registered
2001 Triumph Adventurer
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is all great information, this has been driving me crazy for a few months but now I’m almost positive it is that oil seal now, thank you for the pictures that helps me out a lot. I have ordered the parts with a new crankcase gasket as well. One more question, would you guys recommend a new centrifugal breather or would this have nothing to do with my issue?

·
Registered
168 Posts
@ One more question, would you guys recommend a new centrifugal breather or would this have nothing to do with my issue?

Over the years there have been three performances of this ,from Triumph.
White plastic, black plastic, and once aluminum.
Because there was sometimes , something with it.
They all do the same.

I have never had any problems with this myself.
The choice is yours, I think they themselves are cheaper than the seal.

If you the crankcase new gasket apply with grease and the new seal installed, and it is still leaking.
You can also disassemble it without breaking the gasket ,and fitted the mandrel back as soon as possible and still the centrifugal breather renew.
good luck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Here is my setup, gonna make it nicer in a while. I get some water in the catch can after a ride, I haven't seen the coolant level go down so I assume its condense, bike is parked on the street and it rains alot here.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts