21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That does look smart, well done.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Alan, the hardest part of the job was getting hold of the copper sealing washers of the correct size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey guys i am going to replace my 2012 speedmaster oil lines with a set of 2016 set i got of ebay just for a cleaner look. i know there are the 4 washers to replace that go to the head which i have.just wondering if the ones in oil cooler are the same as well.also the wire that attatches to top of cooler bolt is that removed by just undoing the bolt it is attatched too?.hope this is clear enuf .cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
hey guys i am going to replace my 2012 speedmaster oil lines with a set of 2016 set i got of ebay just for a cleaner look. i know there are the 4 washers to replace that go to the head which i have.just wondering if the ones in oil cooler are the same as well.also the wire that attatches to top of cooler bolt is that removed by just undoing the bolt it is attatched too?.hope this is clear enuf .cheers
Not sure about the copper washers on the Speedmaster but I would imagine they are the same. the the wire you are talking about is the oil temperature sensor and you need to undo it at the plug under the tank before you attempt to remove it or you risk twisting the wires off the sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure about the copper washers on the Speedmaster but I would imagine they are the same. the the wire you are talking about is the oil temperature sensor and you need to undo it at the plug under the tank before you attempt to remove it or you risk twisting the wires off the sensor.
hey thanks for fast reply Eric.ok so will disconnect at plug first good to know. i have haynes manual but when refered too what i now know is oil sensor switch. could not find anything on removal.cheers for your help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey thanks for fast reply Eric.ok so will disconnect at plug first good to know. i have haynes manual but when refered too what i now know is oil sensor switch. could not find anything on removal.cheers for your help.
just one other thing .do i need to remove sensor switch bolt from oil cooler banjo bolt as it looks like it could come out in one piece together. silly question maybe but dont want to damage anything.thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
just one other thing .do i need to remove sensor switch bolt from oil cooler banjo bolt as it looks like it could come out in one piece together. silly question maybe but dont want to damage anything.thanks
In a word.. Yes it, comes out with the banjo coupling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In a word.. Yes it, comes out with the banjo coupling.
yes its me again i have one final question on this subject. is it essential to torque the top banjo bolt on oil cooler or is snug sufficient? or just remove sensor due to wiring and torque banjo to spec.and snug up sensor.thankyou for your input.in advance.lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
yes its me again i have one final question on this subject. is it essential to torque the top banjo bolt on oil cooler or is snug sufficient? or just remove sensor due to wiring and torque banjo to spec.and snug up sensor.thankyou for your input.in advance.lol
I just snugged the Banjo couplings down when I did mine, make sure the washers are properly in the recess on the cooler where the Banjo seats or it will urinate oil when you start the bike. It's also important to hold the hex on the cooler with a spanner of the correct size so that you don't split the cooler both when removing and refitting (thank Forchetto for this one) If you kill the cooler you could be looking at close to 500 quid for a replacement.

Good luck and may the force be with you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
thankyou for that Eric they are the little details i wanted to know before i tackled the job.my washers arrive next week so will post a cpl pics when job is done.i was only going to change lines. but after seeing your result of respray will go down that same path as my cooler is looking a bit tired.did you find that much oil was still in the cooler after removal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
thankyou for that Eric they are the little details i wanted to know before i tackled the job.my washers arrive next week so will post a cpl pics when job is done.i was only going to change lines. but after seeing your result of respray will go down that same path as my cooler is looking a bit tired.did you find that much oil was still in the cooler after removal.
There was about 20ml give or take that came out during the work even though I'd left it to drain overnight so I'm not convinced that you need to drain the oil if you're only removing the cooler but I was doing a service anyway. I masked off the holes where the banjos screw in and trimmed the tape around the seat, this stopped paint getting on the seat and also kept the oil in until I removed it that is when residual started leaking out.

Cleaning the cooler up prior to spraying was the most labour intensive part but as we all know preparation is the key if you want a good finish.

I look forward to the pictures once you've done.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts