Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when I haven't ridden my bike for a few days (or when it has been pretty cold outside) that when I turn the ignition key to the on position, but before I press the starter button, there is a high pitched whistle/circulating sound for a few seconds. It goes away, but sure sounds bad for a second or two. I'm assuming its the oil cooler initiating circulation. Is this normal? Is there a way to make it stop. It is almost embarassing if someone is present and goes, "What the h*ll was that!?" :eek:

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
A lot of bikes now have electric fuel pumps, and they all do the tic,tic,tic when you turn on the key. My 05 1100 V-Star had carbs and the fuel pump was in the faux left engine case. Once I left it sit for a few weeks and the pump just stuck. Dealer had to come get it. That's why I like gravity feed. Gravity doesn't break.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
That is obnoxious.
What??!!

Surely its not that bad!!
But I agree it may be obvious!!

Your fuel pump is priming the fuel system, getting it up to pressure, when you switch the ignition on.
It does the same when the bikes running, but you cant hear it above all the other noise.

V.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts