Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 8500 miles on my '06 cat, she uses about a half U.S. quart in 2500 miles. No leaks, dry as a bone. Anyone have similar or different oil use?

Been using Mobil1.

Anyone know what Triumph says is acceptable usage?

I would appreciate your inputs.

Cheers, :???:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
On 2007-01-05 02:37, CATUCK wrote:
Apart from a few ml/ounces following the oil changes, I have never had to add any oil to my Tiger.
Same here.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
44K miles and I've never had to add oil between changes (4000 miles), the level stays right in the middle of the little window. I use various 4-cycle, full synthetic M/C oils, whatever Cycle World is having a special on. To be blunt, you have a very sick tiger! :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2007-01-05 12:33, TucsonBill wrote:
To be blunt, you have a very sick tiger! :(
You maybe right Bill, she doesn't act sick though. Runs like a scalded butt ape, no leaks and no smoke. Guess the converter probably eats the smoke. Didn't use any oil the first 6,000 miles. I'm wondering if the dealer didn't get it topped properly at the last service. I will monitor a lot closer than I have been. I need to find out what Triumph considers out of limits.

Cheers, :cry:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hate to ask, but did you check it right after the last service? If not, I'd bet you're right about the dealer not topping it off.

You're checking it straight up, not on the side stand, right? (Just checking!)

·
Registered
791 Posts
No loss from mine with 38K miles. I change my own with Mobil 1 MX-4T.

[ This message was edited by: pineygroveshop on 2007-01-05 19:30 ]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2007-01-05 15:18, triumph900 wrote:
Hate to ask, but did you check it right after the last service? If not, I'd bet you're right about the dealer not topping it off.

You're checking it straight up, not on the side stand, right? (Just checking!)
You know what triumph900, I didn't check- but you can bet I will next time!
I check it standing straight up (the bike that is) :razz: , and the dip stick screwed all the way in.
I talked to my dealer today and he is going to find out what Triumph considers the limit. Also the dealer is going to monitor oil level for me to get an accurate burn rate.

I'm sure hoping it is a servicing problem rather than bad seals or rings.
:cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Half a litre every thousand miles, no leaks, no smoke. Dealer and Triumph said no problem, not prepared to do anything about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A few have been having similar problems with no real luck on identifying the cause.

This is a link to one that I found when mine started buring it

http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=59260&forum=40

Since then I have been measuring corefully and she's getting through about 500ml every 500 miles. Dealer said she was sounding fine and showing no huge amount of smoke, but the end can gets sooty quickly. She runs and pulls fine so I'm stumped. Seems that a few that started using oil did so at about 6000 miles

Not had chance to do more research recently though but hope to get on with diagnosis soon as Shell VSX aint cheap

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine started using oil at around 6,000 miles during a continental trip involving prolonged high speeds. From that moment on it continued to use oil at .5l per 1,000 miles, until I sold it with 21,000 miles.

It didn't smoke, didn't leak, and there wasn't any soot around the silencer, so I don't know where it was going !

Your usage at .5l per 500 miles definately sounds to much, and I'd of thought your dealer/Triumph should investigate properly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmmm.... Interesting that you say it started during a time of prolongued high speed running. Mine started like that as well. Usuall motorway speeds 80-90 with the occasional blat up to 110ish. I wouldn't have expected these speeds to be effecting the engine though. 90mph is only 6000 rpm in top and would be consideder normal. Even 120mph is 8000rpm but I only got to that velocity for a very short blat once.

The dealer said it could be difficult to find the problem and could be expensive. I havent decided what to do yet. Selling is an option that I'm considering.

Maybe we're onto something. Anyone else had similar reports ?

·
Registered
679 Posts
On 2007-01-05 12:33, TucsonBill wrote:
To be blunt, you have a very sick tiger! :(

Nonsense. Oil usage can vary a lot. Mine uses a quart every 2,000 miles and has been doing that for 40,000 miles with absolutely no changes. I get over 47 miles to the US gallon, have no leaks, no smoke, and plenty of power. I live with it, you should too.

I know I am going to get a lot of grief about this but the fact is there is a distribution in the amount of oil any engine uses, unfortunately some people have to be on the high end of the distribution, standard deviations being what they are. My advice is to ride the cat and enjoy it, the oil consumption is only a minor irritation and this way you know you always have fresh additives in keeping those parts nicely lubricated.

OK, I am here, let me have it.

Fred

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Fred,
I'm with you man. Truth be known, she could be burning 4 times the amount and the grin factor she gives me would still be worth it!

Machines break or wear out. Can't be helped. I just wanted to get on record with my dealer in case it becomes a warranty issue.

Feels better to know I'm not alone. Sounds like others are using to.

Cheers, :chug:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Let's put a positive spin on this. If the beast is using oil at .5l/1000miles, you're doing a complete change every 8K. Is there really any point in doing oil changes at this rate? Sure, you need to change the filters, but even that might not be needed so often. There is also an opportunity for an aftermarket product, sort of a super-volume Scotoiler, a kind of oil IV that would keep'er topped off!
Rider of a non-user,
Bill

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great idea Bill!
An auxiliary oil tank with electric transfer pump activated by a float switch mounted in place of the dip stick! You could put a sight glass on the aux tank to keep an eye on your reserve oil supply. :wow:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine too was running fine for a year (20k), no noticeable oil consumption and then I did a long weekend to France (2k) followed by 2500 miles in 3 weeks (for work). I then notice an alarming increase in oil consumption (100cc every other day). I have been riding bikes for twenty years and this the first bike I have had that drinks oil. Havind said that it is also one of the best bikes I have owned. What do i do? Carry oil on te bike. Maybe i should sell and go for another Tiger.

Paul

1 - 20 of 26 Posts