Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been changin my oil every 10 000 km which i'd clock up in roughly 12 months.Considering modern oils & engines are so much better than they were this mileage should be ok shouldn't it?
Should you stick with the same brand of oil? Currently using mobil racing recommended in owners manual.

05 t100

·
29,948 Posts
The triumph manual says change the oil every 6000 miles, which is about what you are doing. Changing it sooner is OK too. I change mine every 3000 miles, sometimes a bit longer than that.

You don't have to stick with the same oil, there are lots of good ones. Check out this link

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/91238-great-source-of-info.html

There are links to some oil discussions in there that might be of interest.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Oil Changes

Just looked in my manual @ all maintanance recs. I have done 4 O&F since new minus the breakin one. I use Amzoil which does a great job!I use a NAPA Gold 1358 Filter & always have. Havent done a thing on her since new but 2 tires, RR brakes, O&F of course & a new battery last month. 1x/ yr is fine unless you put a million miles a month for O&F. Just did my oil last week & realized I am still using the original crush washer. I did the Mobil 1 for the 1st 2 changes (incl the break in one) & Amzoil the last 3. The Mobil 1 started clutch chatter when it got old & hot. Not w/ Amzoil. Amzoil will tell me when its time to change as in a slight valve tick intermittent after a long hard run. No specific valve- just a little tick. Will go away when I shut it down. Change & its butter smooth! Your ok 1x/ yr unless your real hard on her.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
thats what I am doing and same as what the owners manual recommends.

use a synthetic oil and change filter at same time.

I'm using Silkolene Comp 4 10w-40. swtching from one brand to another isn't going to stuff up your engine, but you could argue it is preferable to stick to the one brand otherwise seals maybe affected and cause leaks.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Oil

Yeah changing oil brands isnt gonna do any harm as long as you use as good or better!
The 1 yr gig has always worked. It may be a bit sooner or later depending on miles & driving cond.- but 1 yr +- does it. I use the NAPA Gold 1358 filter cause I get the co. disc & all the cop bikes use them (made bi WIC) so they cant be bad? Actually looks just like a Triumph filter. Cost me $7 ea. I liked the mobil 1 but the Amzoil really does run smoother - longer. The Mobil 1 used to chatter the clutch when it got old- Amzoil doesnt! Oil in these things is important cause it does 2 jobs! 2 pumps- 1 to lube the engine & 1 to cool the bike.
If ya got something that works for you- use it!! I did!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah changing oil brands isnt gonna do any harm as long as you use as good or better!
The 1 yr gig has always worked. It may be a bit sooner or later depending on miles & driving cond.- but 1 yr +- does it. I use the NAPA Gold 1358 filter cause I get the co. disc & all the cop bikes use them (made bi WIC) so they cant be bad? Actually looks just like a Triumph filter. Cost me $7 ea. I liked the mobil 1 but the Amzoil really does run smoother - longer. The Mobil 1 used to chatter the clutch when it got old- Amzoil doesnt! Oil in these things is important cause it does 2 jobs! 2 pumps- 1 to lube the engine & 1 to cool the bike.
If ya got something that works for you- use it!! I did!
Thanks CAPTDON & the other guys for your info.
Not sure whether amzoil has a distributor in Australia but i'll find out,cheers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The proper spelling is Amsoil. I believe it is second to none. But having said that, I am a dealer. There are alot of good oils out there.

Check it out @ www.amsol.com

Good stuff...

·
Registered
76 Posts
my two bits worth ive always changed oil approx every 5000 kms and filter every 10000kms i dont beleive you could hurt a machine changing oil too often but you certainly can by not often enough i have stuck with mobil 4t from new and have recently found a cheaper place to buy it from at $ 60 nz or around $ 95 nz per 4lts from dealers and retailers.brent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts