Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there's a thread around here about this, but the search function is returning too many results to sift through.... but where's the procedure to do a proper oil change on the '04 Speedy?

The were talking about this on the Bonnie forum, and it got me thinking... Mine's long overdue for it, and I could take it to the local shop, but I'll have time in the next few days to handle this myself.

Thoughts? Advice? A place to start? Do I need the shop manual to do this properly? Dazco?

Jeff

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
It's quite simple really. I''l just tell you how i do it and others will give you thier variations.

1)-After running the bike a bit to get the oil warm, remove the oil filler cap, then remove the drain plug and let the oil drain. I use a plastic bag on my hand and unscrew it by hand once it's loose enough. I don't like getting a wrench all oily or my hand. Oh, and you'll do this with the bike on the sidestand, not a lift for any number of reasons including the obvious. :D As the oil drains go to step 2.

2)-loosen the filter using a filter wrench then unscrew it the rest of the way by hand and toss it.

3)-personally i'm a fanatic about getting as much of the old oil out as possible. So i allow it to drain for a few minutes then i sit on the bike and rock it from side to side and then hold it straight upright for a minute. Then i'll allow it to sit for a few minutes, then repeat. I'll do this as many times as i can stand till i get tierd of doing it ! Believe it or not i have never yet gone to a point where some more oil didn't come out when rocking it ! You'll never get it all out, but the more the better for peace of mind if nothing else. Anyways, thats up to you.

4)-once you feel it's drained well, replace the drain plug, then dip a finger in some oil and rub it around the oil filter's rubber O ring. Just a light coating. Then pour fresh oil into the filter till it's full and screw it on. Once it's on all the way, wipe it clean and clean any oil on your hands so you can get a grip on it with your hand and hand tighten it as tight as you can.

5)-stick a funnel in the oil filler hole and put 3 quarts in and maybe a 1/3 of the 4th quart. The bike takes approximatly 4 quarts, but because there will always be some oil left it's never going to be exact. So the trick here is NOT to simply put the correct amount in according to the specs. You want to eyeball it and put a little in at a time. So the 3 quarts and a 3rd of the 4th will get you close.
Then after that you need to add a bit at a time, checking the sight glass as you do. Once you see oil showing against the glass when the bike is straight up, then you want to run the engine a few minutes, then let it settle for maybe 5 or 10. Then add a bit more and check the glass again. The point here is to get it right about in the middle of the sight glass but not to go over. And the reading will be false till the engine is run a bit then sits for a bit. This part is really up to you exactly how you go about it. But the point is that you need to add just a few ounces at a time once you are close. What i do is once it's close to 1/2 way in the sight glass i go for a 5 mile ride then come home and let it sit for a few hours then check it again. At that point you'll know the reading in the glass is 100% accurate and you can add a bit more if needed to get it to the 1/2 way point.

by the way, the reading will vary wildly if the bike is not totally level. So sit on it and hold it dead straight as you can and have someone else sight the oil level, or better yet put it on a lift in a garage or other known level surface. Also, i like to check it again to be safe after my next regular ride and letting it sit overnite. As for oil and filter, i use mobil 1 V twin available at most autozones and the Bosch 3300 filter. I'm a firm believer in M1 synthetic oil's quality, and triumph uses it for their branded oil. So thats what is recommended by those who built your bike, and i think it's the way to go. Pick up a filter wrench that fits the Bosch while your there. they're a couple bucks if that.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Excellent instructions, Daz. I'm a little lazier with being quite so precise on the level ( I just put in 3 3/4 quarts, run it a few miles, let it sit for half hour and top off a bit. Never takes quite the full 4 quarts, as you say.) But your method guarantees a good result.

Monte :)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Well, like i said i am a bit anal about it. Chances are if you just put 3 and 3/4 quarts in like you said thats gonna be fine. Thats just me, but i'm sure slim can read between the lines. I always tend to be very detailed when giving any kind of instructions. Often too thorough i'm sure, but i always fear missing something or being misunderstood.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
For a guy doing his first oil change, you descriptions are perfect. He can learn his own shortcuts later. I've been changing oil and wrenching on these things for over 50 years so I never recommend my "methods" on any maintenance items, just tell them how I do it and let them decide. I don't do a lot of things "right," don't own a torque wrench, etc. Tighten plugs until they feel right, etc......... NOT a good thing to teach someone just breaking in. Your way is much better.

I'm going to quit complimenting you now before you get a swelled head! :HappyRoll:

Monte

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daz, as always, you're a mechanical hero! (your tales of lost washers and valves chilled me to the bone last year!)

I, on the other hand, am a machanically inclined idiot. With hammers, saws, and wood I'm not too bad. Metal and wrenches are a weakness. Almost an embarrassment... My girlfriend changes her own oil in her car, and I'll just drive down the block to the mechanic. So if you don't mind, let me ask some idiotic questions about supplies:

Where do you order your oil filters from? And where's a good place to get the necessary filter wrench?

And the Mobil 1 V Twin oil... does that come in specific viscosity ratings? Or if I just walk into Auto Zone looking for it, will there just be the one brand on the shelf?

Thanks again, Daz... you rock!

Jeff

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I, on the other hand, am a machanically inclined idiot. With hammers, saws, and wood I'm not too bad.
Well there ya go..........just use saws and hammers to work on the bike and you'll be right at home ! :D

Where do you order your oil filters from? And where's a good place to get the necessary filter wrench
I get the Bosch 3300 at auto zone for $6. the wrench can be found there too. Just get the filter and ask the salesman for the appropriate wrench for. It's just a cup sorta thing that fits over the filter and you use it with a ratchet.

And the Mobil 1 V Twin oil... does that come in specific viscosity ratings? Or if I just walk into Auto Zone looking for it, will there just be the one brand on the shelf?
It comes in only one...20/50 which is what you want. As long as it says "V twin" on the label you got the right one. Warning tho.....it's expensive at about $8 a quart. But oil is the most important thing you'll ever buy for your bike's health, so don't skimp !

Now go out and make your woman proud ! :D

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
To add to Dazco's excellent instructions ...

Don't forget to replace or re-use the crush washer on the drain bolt (it can drop in the oil drain pan without you noticing it).

Don't over-tighten the drain bolt, use a torque wrench (25 nM) or be careful.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
You know I have being changing oil on my bikes and friends bikes for over 25 years and this hit me like a lightning bolt Dazco

"I use a plastic bag on my hand and unscrew it by hand once it's loose enough. I don't like getting a wrench all oily or my hand."

I have always suffered the hot oil splashing on my hands, now no more ...

You've just taught this old dog a new trick..... :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success! Or something **** near close to success, as long as I don't go out to the garage tomorrow morning and find a big pool of oil on my floor.

I only needed to use a hammer once (When I took the old oil filter off, I couldn't get the filter wrench off the old filter.). There's only a small oil spill on my driveway, and just a couple of splotches of plastic melted onto my chrome pipes from the plastic bag I was using when I unplugged my drain bolt.

But overall, I pronounce the operation victorious!

Thanks so much for the help and info, Dazco. Your instructions were flawless and incredibly confidence boosting... whenever we ride together again, lunch is on me!

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts