Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what are the correct torque settings for the oil sump screws ...I am about to perform my first oil change on my rocket.

ta

rick watson
hampshire
uk.

·
Registered
896 Posts
On 2006-02-25 17:33, Toystoretom wrote:
Ta?? :-D

Ha...

Tomo
Tomo, I once had one of your countrymen over-hear me use the term "ta" and asked me what the in the hell does that mean! If he'd had any lick of sense he would have worked it out from the context in which it was used as I'm sure you have already done!

Basically the word "ta" is a quick and easy way to say thankyou and is usually one of the first four words every baby learns after Momma, Dadda and NO! Like, give me the dirty biscuit that you have been scrubbing the floor with that you're just about to swallow... ta-ah, meaning thankyou, spit it out please!

Hope this tiny portion of English (and Australian) culture has made your day Tomo. :cool:

Sorry, I digress, did someone mention torque settings? Actually I don't know the figures, I just do it by feel although this wont help much if you are new to mechanical things. Try this, tighten drain plug with your fingers until firm. Using a 3/8" drive socket with a SHORT handle, give it a little turn and then one more small tweek. Not very scientific I'll admit so just remember that you are tighening a steel drain plug into a soft aluminium sump cover so err on the side of "easy does it". Davo

[ This message was edited by: Aussiebikerdave on 2006-02-26 00:56 ]

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info on the torque settings... but where are the 3 sump plugs...or in other words... does anyone know where I can get a rocket 3 service manual from in the UK..... or does anyone know of a digram showing the locations of the drain plugs.

thanks (ta)

rick watson

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info..

It appears that 2005 rockets have a different sump to 2003-2005 rockets 9according to the link below?

According to this link the r3 manual available online is incorrect in showing the placement of the 3 oil drainage plugs??

Does anyone agree (read this link below)

http://www.r3owners.com/viewtopic.php?=714&highlight=oil+change

The diagram of the sump in my triumph owners handbook(page 61) is the same as that in the online manual... but on my rocket (a 2005 model) the layout of the sump area appears to be different??

i.e... I am unsure of what drain plugs to remove .

rick wats

·
Registered
62 Posts
There are two drain plug locations as follows: Up to engine #217501, one plug directly under the oil filter on the end of the sump, one at the rear of the motor directly behind the front plug, one underneath to drain the tank.
From engine # 217502 the three drain plugs are on the bottom of the sump, one about 3 inches behind the oil filter, one diagonally opposite and the tank drain plug is in the same position as the earlier sump. Torque to 25 NM

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the further info on the sump layout. I will try again next weekend

rick

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a link to a pdf file ... which is the 2005 triumph rocket 3 owners manual

It shows the shows the correct location of the oil sump plugs (which are in a different position to 2004

rockets) on page 57.

And it shows under the tyres section that Bridgestone now supply officially approved tyres for the rocket 3 on page 98

http://www.triumph.co.uk/media/RocketIII(1).pdf

keywords: oil change rocket 3 2005 sump pan plugs location

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have finally changed the oil my my rocket. (using the 2005 owners manual to get the location of the 3 sump plugs )as above.

Question: I have hand tightened the new oil filter.. Is this sufficient .... to get the required torque setting of 10NM ?

thanks

rickwats

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have finally changed the oil my my rocket. (using the 2005 owners manual to get the location of the 3 sump plugs )as above.

Question: I have hand tightened the new oil filter.. Is this sufficient .... to get the required torque setting of 10NM ?

thanks

rickwats
No, its 25nm

·
Banned
185 Posts
Guys i felt really stupid posting about this. In the morning all questions will be answered in a step by step oil change. Pictures and torque specs along with socket sizes will be included. Let the fun begin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts