Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 09 Bonnie that I just picked up.
It's got 700 miles now.

And since I'm in Chicago, it looks like this weekend might be the last time I get to ride, and then its going into the garage for storage.

My question is, should I do the first "600" mile checkup NOW?
Or do you think I should just Stabil the fuel and let it sit for the winter,
and come March/April do the oil change??

Suggestions appreciated.

·
29,948 Posts
Do the oil and filter change now, get it out of the way, then you are all set to go in spring. There is no benefit to putting it off.

I'm shifting this thread into twins tech talk by the way.

Have fun!

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Once the Thanksgiving holiday is over, the T100 will get its oil and filter changed, since she's just about due. I don't like the thought of the bike sitting in the snow-covered garage for the next couple of months with a crankcase of dirty oil. I got in the habit of changing oil this time of year after riding Beemers for several years. This was common practice amongst those riders. That, plus Stabil, and a scissors jack to lift some weight off the front tire (bike is on center stand), and she's good to go (for me, anyway). The GS is good to go already, with only 300 miles since last change. An occasional hit with the Battery Tender on both bikes, and they'll be ready for the first snow free/salt free riding day in 2009.

Bob

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Oil Change

I would dump it & put in some good qual dino oil. The old oil can hold some corrosive deposits etc.. Start it in the spring & ride it 1-200 mi & change out to good synthetic & your good to go! CAn leave the old filter on- doesnt make too much difference & change it when you go full syn. Id never srore a bike w/ old oil in it! Consider the dino- storage oil?
I really feel for you guys (gals) in cold climates. Our ridin season is just gettin started!
If you can- I would consider blockin it? Better for the tires. Also- take the battery out & keep it on a shelf (not the concerte floor)! Enjoy the skiin if thats your thing! It used to be mine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I guess I'm gonna have to bundle up
and the ride the bike to the dealer tomorrow.

Dunno what I'm fussing about....it'll be 38 degrees
in Chicago!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Much better to store with clean oil. Acids are byproducts of combustion, and they don't do your motor any good....

Consider putting in some Lucas oil stabilizer also.... its claim to fame is staying put, on cylinders etc. over time, so you don't end up "dry" starting come spring.

When I do that first start with a bike with no kickstarter, I generally leave the petcocks OFF, drain the carb bowls (they should have been before storage, BTW), and crank a bit to distribute some oil. Then turn on the petcocks and start normally. May save a bit of wear. Cold starts cause more wear than 100-mile rides, IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts