Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there goes by the recommended oil
change interval of 6,000 miles or should it be changed earlier?
I run amsoil in my Bonneville at $70.00 per oil change at present with my 6,000 mile service's.

·
Registered
289 Posts
welcome to the forum, but...

hey durbud - like the subject line says - welcome to the forum!

the "oil" topic is just one of many cans of worms that have been discussed to death - you can almost smell all the horses that have been beaten to death around here.

...not that we aren't happy you asked - but anything you want to know about oil - and i mean ANYTHING! - is VERY well documented. some of these guys are really, really into oil.

the best thing to do is click on the search tab and you will find a wealth of information that should keep you occupied for days.

again - welcome. there are some very helpful people here.

~m

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
What I say : "Oil's cheaper than engine."

Mobil1 V Twin will run you 40$ if $$$ is the concern which is the identical to the Triumph "specific" blend . If you wanna get even cheaper run Rotella T synthetic Diesel engine. I've done it . Others here do it . It works . 20$ at Walmart . You might be able to run Crisco but I'll leave that experiment up to you guys . :FunnyFace:

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Once a year with good oil, which is usually about 3000 miles for me.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T and nothing else in all my motorcycles.
I change oil and filters at 3,000 - 3,5000 miles.
Modern, full synthetic oils don't break down (wear out) like petroleum oils do but the by products of combustion include production of harmful acids which can only be removed by draining the crankcase and replacing the filter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
3K miles for me.

This is the first bike in which I've tried anything but my former fave, Mobil One.
At the 500 mile mark, I switched to Rotella T synthetic and a Purolator premium filter (PL14612, IIRC).
I plan on changing at 3K, and every 3K thereafter at a cost of about $29/change (oil and filter) using the same products unless someone convinces me to do otherwise beforehand.
Bob

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't blame you, people are nuts with oil changes, even conventional oil
does not start breaking down until after 7,000 miles, its proven.
I haven't change my oil in over a year, right around 6,000 miles.

Jiffy lube and the like have brainwashed people with the 3k thing.
My old Honda accord had over 200,000 miles on it, I think I changed the
oil once every year or so, over 5,000 miles between changes.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I go by what Triumph say, 6k miles OR annually, as I only do about 3k miles a year it's then.
If I rode further each year then it would be whichever was sooner.
As someone else said oil is cheaper than an engine, I have insurance I have no intention of coming to grief but I'm covered should I.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It's not a popular idea on this forum, but if you send in a sample for testing at your next change, you can find out how your oil did and how your engine is doing.

I started with Amsoil at 6,000 mile intervals, but with testing, I've decided to use a different oil and a different interval.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Our bike can run up to 5K easily before an oil change is needed.
Oil thins over time when in use, so I go about 5K or once per year, or if I'm just riding it hard. Our oil is used as coolant and all sorts of multi use lubrication.
Search the forums and find more info about the viscosity of oil that fits your weather and riding habits. I think thinner is better for colder climates, and thicker is better for hot climates like AZ and CA. I run Castrol Full Synth 10W-50, with a Purolator (PL14612) oil filter. Don't use car motor oil because they have additives meant for their specific purpose. Our oil needs to wear many hats, and this is easy preventative maintenance that you don't want to cheap out on. I hear Amsoil is awesome if you can find it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Thanks for the replies all, I found other threads and I think i'll stick
with amsoil and recomened oil change intervals......
Be careful when mentioning anything lubrication related here! The internecine warfare and bloodletting can be are fierce as those religious debates in the 1500's in Europe. Welcome to the show.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't blame you, people are nuts with oil changes, even conventional oil
does not start breaking down until after 7,000 miles, its proven.
I haven't change my oil in over a year, right around 6,000 miles.

Jiffy lube and the like have brainwashed people with the 3k thing.
My old Honda accord had over 200,000 miles on it, I think I changed the
oil once every year or so, over 5,000 miles between changes.

+1 Ed Jr.

I know for a fact that I know less about OIL than the manufacturer of my bikes, cars, trucks, and riding mower. Their recommendations and specifications are good enough for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts