Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through my owners manual it looks like Triumph recommend a 6k mile service interval for oil changes. Is this correct or are they not listing each oil change on the schedule? It sounds about right to me as my new Honda auto can go anywhere from 6k to 8k between oil and filter changes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the clarification. I just came back from WalMart where I picked up two one gallon jugs of Rotella T Synthetic and all of the ST7317 filters they had on the shelf.

[ This message was edited by: 02S3 on 2007-03-04 14:13 ]

·
Registered
646 Posts
If your not using Silkolene, which is Triumphs Preferred oil, I would strongly suggest servicing oil every 3,000 miles.

Even though Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic has proven itself when tested against other fully synthetic brands, I service the oil every 3,000 miles. becuase Mobil 1 thins and begins losing its properties above 4,000 miles...My personal experience. At about 4,000 miles the engine would die when coming back to idle. After servicing oil it didn't die anymore. Clearly the oil viscocity thinned!

Never seemed to have that problem with Silkolene.

4 Qts of Silkolene $50-$60
4 Qts of Mobile One $22-$26

...About the same price once you add the miles. :???:

·
Registered
131 Posts
On 2007-03-04 12:19, 02S3 wrote:
Looking through my owners manual it looks like Triumph recommend a 6k mile service interval for oil changes. Is this correct or are they not listing each oil change on the schedule? It sounds about right to me as my new Honda auto can go anywhere from 6k to 8k between oil and filter changes.
I would ask you to consider the difference in your average running RPM's between bike and car and potentially recalculate... depending on what kind of miles I have put on, I service the oil & filter on all of my bikes between 3-4000; even more frequently for the first few changes. Have always had good luck with M1 synthetics (currently Gold cap), and Rotella T in the blue bottle (and Pure One filters). Another I may try is Amsoil, have heard nothing but good regarding their products.

·
Registered
354 Posts
On 2007-03-04 16:53, Sport wrote:
If your not using Silkolene, which is Triumphs Preferred oil,
My factory manual says to use MOBIL 1 MX4T Synthetic.

[ This message was edited by: SoCalSprint on 2007-03-09 22:28 ]

·
Registered
489 Posts
I strongly suggest using JASO-rated synthetic motorcycle oil in your bike while it's under warranty, and changing the oil and filter at least as often as recommended by the owner's manual (every 6K miles for '02-up 955 and 1050 Sprints).

If you have a warranty failure that might be oil related Corporate may want to see oil change records and using non spec oil / filters could well cause a claim to be denied.

After the warranty, use whatever synthetic you're comfortable with. The USA spec oil is Mobil 1 MX4T 15W50.

[ This message was edited by: Stiles on 2007-03-09 21:58 ]

·
Registered
354 Posts
On 2007-03-09 21:57, Stiles wrote:
I strongly suggest using JASO-rated synthetic motorcycle oil in your bike while it's under warranty, and changing the oil and filter at least as often as recommended by the owner's manual (every 6K miles for '02-up 955 and 1050 Sprints).

If you have a warranty failure that might be oil related Corporate may want to see oil change records and using non spec oil / filters could well cause a claim to be denied.
To deny the claim, Triumph would have to prove that the brand of oil or filter you used caused the failure, I'd like to see them try that!

[ This message was edited by: SoCalSprint on 2007-03-09 22:26 ]

·
Registered
646 Posts
On 2007-03-09 19:17, SoCalSprint wrote:
On 2007-03-04 16:53, Sport wrote:
If your not using Silkolene, which is Triumphs Preferred oil,
My factory manual says to use MOBIL 1 MX4T Synthetic.
How Ironic, Triumph must have switched brands from 02 to 06. Either way, I personally do not like going past 3,000 miles on any motorcycle oil.

I was on a pre-paid maintanance plan with my dealer (Wilson's Motorcycleof Fresno CA) and they serviced my oil every 3,000 miles. I rode so much, it was MUCH cheaper to pay for the plan than not.

As a mechanic, I've seen how oil can break-down. High Performance motorcycles have a tendancy to break oil down faster due to the extreme conditions the engines produce and my personal experience revealed that increase friction resulted on oil that had more than 4,500 miles (give a take a little). This increased friction will reduce performance both in the short run and as it scores the cylinders, the long run as well. Synthetic is better, but I don't think its that much better.

Again, just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Every 3k and you will not go far wrong. Cheapest engine insurance you can buy. The Repsol full Synthetic is also very good. Used it in several bikes for years. Sells at Cycle Gear for under $30 a Gal.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Change it often is the best advice you'll get. I had my first service at just over 1K and changed the oil yesterday at 6600km. Why, coz changing it every 6000km means:
a) I do the full service every 12000 not 10000
b) change the oil before it has broken down too badly even with hard running

So the engine gets looked after a bit better, and I save a few bucks as I don't pay for the services from the dealer as often.

I also use cheaper oil than most folk here recommend, Shell Helix Semi Synth (a 15W50 oil) at the moment but also Penzoil and have used (and liked) Mobil 4x4 Semi Synth (a 10W40 oil). I am not as particular about the oil brand (as long as it meets the right SG or SJ spec for the Triumph) as changing it often means a lot of the synth longer life characteristics would be wasted. Just my 2c worth but I've now done it for 4 bikes, about 6yrs and 190000km with no ill effects.

Russ

G

·
I have the Triumph service manual that I purchased for use with my 06 Sprint ST. In the scheduled maintenance chart(Section 2.3) it indicated oil change intervals at 500 miles and then at 10,000 mile or 1 year, 20K or 2 years and so on. Is this an error?

·
Registered
259 Posts
On 2007-03-10 06:44, keo1050 wrote:
Every 3k and you will not go far wrong. Cheapest engine insurance you can buy. The Repsol full Synthetic is also very good. Used it in several bikes for years. Sells at Cycle Gear for under $30 a Gal.
Is the Repsol 15/50 or 10/40?

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
Oh no another bloody oil thread! :evil: :razz:

There would be more about this subject than anything else here and almost as many different opinions.

I use Motul 5100 semi synthetic I have used it for many years. Many bike shops across Ozz and Unzud use Motul also the Australian Suzuki supersport team from memory.

What ever you use it should conform to the manual, does not have to be Triumph oil.

But I change mine every 5000kms and have done so for over 30 years on all my bikes and it works for me.

Clean good oil helps make em last better. :wink:

DaveM :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Wheelspin63, you are correct that the Shop Manual schedule shows oil changes at 500 then 10,000, etc. However, the owners manual (Warranty and Service Record) shows 500, 6000/1 year, 12,000/2 years and so forth. This is the record to be used for warranty claim eligibility. Since these two publications do not agree, I suggest checking with your dealer or the Triumph office in Georgia for clarification. I have an idea what they will say, but I am going to contact them also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts