Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it take until the oil heats up enough for an oil change on our triples? Apologies for such a basic question, but I've scalded myself before. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any time it really doesn't matter cold or hot all the oil is in sump but if cold which I believe is best just give about 15 mins for all to drain out of the bottom end.and then carry on.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I prefer to drain the oil from a warm (not hot) engine -- a procedure the Haynes manual recommends. Possibly take the bike for a short ride, park it up in your garage and give it at least 15 mins to settle as Peterh above suggests. The viscosity of the oil is such that warm oil flows out quicker than if it were stone cold -- particularly relevant in climates colder than my own :)

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I prefer to drain the oil from a warm (not hot) engine -- a procedure the Haynes manual recommends. Possibly take the bike for a short ride, park it up in your garage and give it at least 15 mins to settle as Peterh above suggests. The viscosity of the oil is such that warm oil flows out quicker than if it were stone cold -- particularly relevant in climates colder than my own :)

What he said.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Ahhh, Peterh the way I've always done it!
Just need to leave it longer to drain, plus you don't have a risk of being burnt.
As you said the oil is already in the sump and just a bit more viscous.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oil change

You should drop the oil from a warm engine. As long as you get the oil out before it is cold, you should be ok. So, if you put your hand against the engine block and it's warm, go for it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I go the opposite way. At least part of the reason is to get some of the heavier particles out, which would have time to settle (maybe) if you wait too long, so I dump the oil from a hot engine. I just make sure to get out of the way when the drain plug lets loose!

This didn't work too well when I drained a Freightliner Sprinter. That has a lot of oil and the engine is high off the ground so there is a long way to fall. That hot oil came out amazingly fast and when it hit the pan it splashed. I was tasting hot oil for a while there.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
978 Posts
How will you get more out?
I normally drain in the evening, and refill in the morning, heavier bits would go where exactly?
I've done this for year's and never had a problem, what I've also done is drop the sump to see what's there.
In a word nothing.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Old oil is carcinogenic so the least time I have in contact the better.
Hot oil is nasty stuff. Cool oil has drained significantly already, no burns, little mess, same amount drained.
Not saying "you do it " just saying it's what I do.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Changing Oil

How will you get more out?
I normally drain in the evening, and refill in the morning, heavier bits would go where exactly?
I've done this for year's and never had a problem, what I've also done is drop the sump to see what's there.
In a word nothing.

No there wont be! But unless you leaned the bike well over to the right side the previous evening there sure will be plenty of old oil sitting up on the cylinder head.
When the top engine cover is removed it is apparant why.

·
Registered
978 Posts
So when its hot do you lean it over to the right?
My Rocket has 3 drain plugs and I level the bike before draining.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Draining Oil

So when its hot do you lean it over to the right?
My Rocket has 3 drain plugs and I level the bike before draining.

Yep, that's right. Allows all the nooks and cranny's in the internal head casting to empty down through the cam shaft chain drive tunnel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts