Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a '74 Bonneville and am clueless on general maintenance. The first thing I would like to do is change the oil! Can someone direct me to a source that would point out where the plug is and filter? I know....very basic. But I would rather learn myself than pay another to do it. Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
gooday steve , i'm new to the forums also but i've had a few triumphs your oil filters are just metal screens iff you look at the large frame tube that in front of your seat the bung to put oil in is right there [you can buy a special tool to remove the bung or a couple of screwdrivers] , follow the frame tube down and underneath it ha a 4 bolt removable plate this is where you drain oil and has 1 screen -you just clean out with petrol /compressed air ,you need to buy/make 2 gaskets one either side of the screen before it goes back together
with gasket goo ,the 2nd screen from memory is in the engine crankcase underneath i think it is 5/8 11/16 spanner it is just a small bung with a screen that needs cleaning , i'm going from memmory
it's been about 23 years since i had a 75-750 so have a look and
be carefull that the spanner fits snug on the crankcase bung and you hold it square onto bung as it is only alloy -ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts