Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm sure you guys get tired of noobies asking these questions but I 've been lurking around here for a while as I've been shopping for a girlie for a while (don't tell me wife). I took the plunge yesterday and bought an '01 (the gorgeous green one) with 36200 miles on it. No manual etc. but lots of pretty good upgrades (I'll post pics soon I promise). Anyway, I was wondering what the oil capacity of an '01 is and if mobil 1 v-twin full syn is okey-dokey? I don't want to precipitate a big discussion of which oil to use, I live in a hot place and like full syn. I assume the 3 "notches" on the dipstick indicate full (top notch), ok (middle notch), and low (3rd notch). I've ordered the Haynes and factory service manuals but would really like to change the oil out and hit the road. Also, one more quick question, how does the chain tension adujuster work, my chain is pretty slack?

thanks in advance and I look forward to some day contributing and helping other folks,

Todd

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oil capacity: nominally 4 litres, but after the last oil+filter I did, I could only get 3.5 litres in.

Oil is 10W-40 or 15W-50 for warmer climes. Wet clutch, so JASO spec preferred.

Chain? Eccentric adjusters. You'll need a 12mm hex key (preferably two). Slacken pinch bolts on the very end of the rear fork, use hex keys to turn eccentrics which hold the rear spindle. Tighten pinch bolts. Chain slack (at tightest point) on centre stand is 40mm, though some people prefer more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ChazzyB,

Thank you very much for the info, this should put me on the road by noon today.:D

thanks again,

Todd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts