Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the subject, .... I have what looks like a thin layer of oil by the spark plug. Not a lot, but it definitely looks like engine oil. Is this blow by? or something of the sort. It is a little concerning. I also see a little, Very little, by the exhaust exit in the front of the head.

I can take pictures and post, if needed.

Just concerned any idea ..anyone..please ring in!

Tim Lynch

·
Registered
794 Posts
Tim,
More likely to be a leak from the rocker covers, flowing down or pushed there by wind. Check the torque on the rocker cover bolts, and if they're OK, you may need to change gaskets. Could also be the o-ring on one of the rocker shafts leaking.

The rocker covers are under pressure from the crankcase (via the pushrod tubes), so any small pinhole will let oil come out.

Before doing anything, give the area a good clean, then start it up and have a close look for the leak.

Pete

[ This message was edited by: OzBloke on 2006-12-14 18:21 ]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On 2006-12-14 18:17, OzBloke wrote:
Tim,
More likely to be a leak from the rocker covers, flowing down or pushed there by wind. Check the torque on the rocker cover bolts, and if they're OK, you may need to change gaskets. Could also be the o-ring on one of the rocker shafts leaking.

The rocker covers are under pressure from the crankcase (via the pushrod tubes), so any small pinhole will let oil come out.

Before doing anything, give the area a good clean, then start it up and have a close look for the leak.

Pete
Thanks I will check that....I don't know what I would do without this place.

Tim

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it aint smoking out of the exhaust, it is an external leak. Oil can be blow forward as well as backwards. May be comming from the pushrod cover tube seal.. Clean the engine well and stick cotton in the suspitious areas. The cotton balls will collect the oil befor it has time to blow around.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I noticed a similiar thing on mine. It turns out that one of the rocker box inspection covers had a small piece of metal that had gotten cut off the cover and was not letting it get a good seal.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Tim,
My '71 Tiger does the same thing.
I've found that the leak also comes from the tappet inspection covers (I have the rounds screw in ones with the big X slots). No matter how firmly I torque them up, they seem to gradually loosen after a few hundrd miles and the same old oil film around the plug area occurs just like you described. If indeed you have those round inspection covers, make sure you have the correct tool for tightening them as it sure saves damaging the slots. I might try O-Ring seals next time I have the covers off - just like jap bikes aka the old Honda Fours use to see if that works any better. If you want and easy way to clean off that oil leak without drenching your bike with degeaser and water each time, might I suggest you use one of those compressed air solvent spray guns using turps (once your engine has cooled down) then blast the residual turps off with compressed air. Keeps the whole thing looking SQUEAKY clean :wink:
Happy Riding
John Quinnell

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
John, do you still have the spring clips that lock the tappet covers on the rocker boxes?? Usually, if they are pressing down tightly enough into the serrattions on the cap, they will hold it tight.

Just Curious: Jim

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeh Jim, I still have the spring clips and I feel I have enough tension on the serrations of the cap ends but some of them
still feel loose after a 300 odd mile ride when I put one of those fancy rocker cover tools into the slot to check the tension. Not a big issue for me as I'm always doing something to fettle the old girl. I might put a small dob of paint on opposing parts before next ride just to see if I'm imagining this. 2007 is going to be the year I iron ot some of those annoying bugs my bike has I reckon :hammer:
Anyway, I wonder if Tim got to bottom of his mysterious oil leak? :???:

[ This message was edited by: johnquinnell on 2006-12-20 21:10 ]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2006-12-20 16:55, johnquinnell wrote:
Yeh Jim, I still have the spring clips and I feel I have enough tension on the serrations of the cap ends but some of them
still feel loose after a 300 odd mile ride when I put one of those fancy rocker cover tools into the slot to check the tension. Not a big issue for me as I'm always doing something to fettle the old girl. I might put a small dob of paint on opposing parts before next ride just to see if I'm imagining this. 2007 is going to be the year I iron ot some of those annoying bugs my bike has I reckon :hammer:
Anyway, I wonder if Tim got to bottom of his mysterious oil leak? :???:
ALL,

It looks as if it is coming from the rocker box cover. Bottom seems to seep a small bit. The wind is probably blowing it through the fins to by plug. Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Tim,
Just a friendly word of warning. Don't tighten those rocker cover bolts (that go directly into the head) over the stated torque, or you'll strip the holes in the head. Then you're up for thread inserts.

Pete

·
Registered
518 Posts
did someone mention "proper tool" for tightening the rocker covers....hmmmmm where can i get one .....tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts