Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I founde oil pooled beneath my air filter on my 01 bonnie and wondered if others have had this. It seems that it would have to come through the rings or the hose from the crank case to the airbox. Any ideas?

dfeaster

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
this often happens to me as well. i am curious to hear everyone's explanation. i cut my breather hose short, while i have noticed others have left it longer and hidden it behind the side cover.

scott

·
Registered
866 Posts
This has come up before. I tried to be helpful, but the search feature doesn't like "oil in the Air Box." Maybe someone with a better handle on the search feature should chime in on this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
failed search

"oil in airbox" was the first thing I tried in search and then several other variations but none returned results. I finally gave up and just asked on this thread.

--dfeaster

·
Vendor
2,435 Posts
On earlier bikes there is an oil seal behind the clutch cover that needs changing every once in a while. When it starts leaking, a pool of oil slowly builds up in the bottom of the airbox from the engine breather tube.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
oil

After I removed the air box, attached a very basic crank case oil breather filter to the hose. After some riding there is a bit of oil reside around the area of the oill-crankcase filter. During the 90 degreee days I will even see a small drop of oil on the floor under the vent filter. Anyone have a better vent filter?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Very common on some bikes. It usually comes from overfilling the bike with oil, and the excess blowing in through the vent tube.

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Oil

Its pretty common. The early modles "slinger" was modified later on. Unless there is a massive amount- not to worry! If you drop her - it will do it as well. However there could be a broken "plastic" blade on q1 of the slingers & that could cause the problem? Massive= worry. Spotty= not to worry. Wipe it out & forget it! Enjoy the ride as well!!

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
as pieman said you have a breather oil seal thats going bad my 03 had the same thing .Once you change it it will stay dry.they changed the breather set up on the newr bikes .The seal thats bad runs on a breather peace thats bolted to the end of the crankshaft. drain your oil pull clutch cover the seal is at the end of the breather tool.All you need is the seal and a clutch cover gasket.If the bike has never been apart you might want to replace the shifter seal and the clutch shaft seal while you have the cover off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts