Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last couple of nights I get my 03 Sprint ST out.. chilly but not really cold..about 48 degrees average and it was a leisure ride and not spirited at all (less than 85mph) As I am pulling up into my garage my bike dies.. I simply restart it.. and pull into the garage.

I notice a strong smell of fuel. I get off the bike. Put it up on the center stand. Nothing I could detect without pulling fairings off.

I get up the next morning. The garage still has a strong fuel smell and I noticed two drip locations below my bike. One is fuel. The other is oil. Just had 12k service done at 24k and it has about 27k total on the bike. I know I can look for things specific to a fuel leak.. and an oil leak... but "together" .. what would cause both to all the sudden leak like this. It would seem to be related.

I pulled off the fairings and I can't really trace it yet and not really qualified to pull the tank off. What are the thoughts on a "dual" occurrence like this off hand? Any ideas I should ask Triumph to check. I have a mechanic I use for straight forward things like brakes, oil changes, etc., Having just spent over $1700 less than 5 months ago getting all the things I am supposed to do at 12k done I a thinking I should take it to Triumph.

thx
Mark
a.k.a. Fairing Lurker

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
So last couple of nights I get my 03 Sprint ST out.. chilly but not really cold..about 48 degrees average and it was a leisure ride and not spirited at all (less than 85mph) As I am pulling up into my garage my bike dies.. I simply restart it.. and pull into the garage.

I notice a strong smell of fuel. I get off the bike. Put it up on the center stand. Nothing I could detect without pulling fairings off.

I get up the next morning. The garage still has a strong fuel smell and I noticed two drip locations below my bike. One is fuel. The other is oil. Just had 12k service done at 24k and it has about 27k total on the bike. I know I can look for things specific to a fuel leak.. and an oil leak... but "together" .. what would cause both to all the sudden leak like this. It would seem to be related.

I pulled off the fairings and I can't really trace it yet and not really qualified to pull the tank off. What are the thoughts on a "dual" occurrence like this off hand? Any ideas I should ask Triumph to check. I have a mechanic I use for straight forward things like brakes, oil changes, etc., Having just spent over $1700 less than 5 months ago getting all the things I am supposed to do at 12k done I a thinking I should take it to Triumph.

thx
Mark
a.k.a. Fairing Lurker
Mark,

If you just had a service, check for the logical oil leak locations, sump plug, oil filter, rocker cover to start with.

Petrol leak I would pull the tank, or at least remove the left hand side fairing to check the fuel thingo (plastic box sort of thing) on the tank and the quick release connectors on the fuel lines near the plastic box thingo on the tank.

It is most likely leaking at these points. There was a recall on these connectors by Triumph but the plastic box thingy (forget what it is called not techy type myself) can also be damaged or knocked causing a crack in the plastic necessitating it's replacement.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mark,

If you just had a service, check for the logical oil leak locations, sump plug, oil filter, rocker cover to start with.

Petrol leak I would pull the tank, or at least remove the left hand side fairing to check the fuel thingo (plastic box sort of thing) on the tank and the quick release connectors on the fuel lines near the plastic box thingo on the tank.

It is most likely leaking at these points. There was a recall on these connectors by Triumph but the plastic box thingy (forget what it is called not techy type myself) can also be damaged or knocked causing a crack in the plastic necessitating it's replacement.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:
Mark
I had a gas leak after MY 6000 mile service in August. As Dave suggested check the quick release fuel conectors. This was where I found one of the line plastics was not locked. Once I pinched the line lock together it solved the problem. If the line is not locked in it will leak. Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fuel leak visible but oil is a mystery

I removed the seat and fairings and have visibility to the connectors going into the fuel tank on the right side and there does appear to be a simple fix there as there is fuel visible on those connections so advice was right on. Still looking for visible oil leak issue. I'll trailer it over to the Triumph dealer to review connections. When the tank was off when I bought it last December (some 16k miles ago) it looked like the connections were all metal and per postings I had heard of an issue with the plastic fuel connections. Right now I am certain (to a point) that the connection on the right of the tank is suspect and easily solved). I won't be riding it there. Too many visions of gas hitting exhaust or electrical spark and whoosh.. toasted naughty bits.. not a good vision.

Thanks again for the responses. I can always count on sound advice for my baby on this board. I still love my old ST. I get so many compliments on this bike and I love being part of the Triumph community. Even the BMW guys love it!

Regards,
Mark
a.k.a. Fairing Lurker (can't seem to find a way to change my handle and not delete or lose all my postings under my name).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another issue with fuel connectors ist that there are o-rings that get very easily damaged: if it's only a bit ripped you'll get a fuel leak.
cheers,
saj

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tips on working on gas leaks

Any tips for the best way to work on gas leaks when there is still gas in the tank. Do you drain/siphon the gas first. Seems like it is not a good idea to just remove stuff and leave draining holes for the gas tank. Probably a stupid question but I really have never worked on a gas leak related repair.

Thanks
Mark
a.k.a. Fairing Lurker

·
Registered
213 Posts
The connectors are self sealing. So you can split the lines and remove the tank with fuel in.
Just make sure you mark which electrical block is used. There are two on the fuel pump but only one is connected.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I replaced my fuel fittings with the metal ones from Team Triumph in Wisconsin. Worked great. Those people are very patient. The other thing I would check is the tightness of the clamps. I replaced most of my "pressure" type clamps with the screw type clamps and ended my leaks. A suggestion, even if it gets "better" don't ignore the gas smell. I did and it took me another 2 months to get it completely sorted out again. Don't be afraid to remove the tank, as said before the lines are self-sealing (and it works quite well) allowing only some small drips. Hope this helps. In addition, get a shop manual...I have the Haynes manual and it really helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts