Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy

Posted on my site -- www.reallycooldude.com/oil_1.pdf and www.reallycooldude.com/oil_2.pdf and www.reallycooldude.com/oil_3.pdf -- are the reports from Blackstone Labs for my oil analysis. I am not too pleased with the amount of lead in my oil.

Does any one else have any reports to share for a comparison. Conversely, if you just have any ideas and notions as to why the lead would be there, please share 'em (I do not use any additives). My Bonnie is an 08 with just over 5100 miles. Mods shouldn't affect anything, but they are - No AI, jetted to 122 and 1 shim on the 40 main. Emgo Reverse Cones, side-gapped, and no snorkel. Others, but they are cosmetic.

Wait a minute!!! As soon as as I said I do not use any additives, I just remembered - I just went thru a tank of gas with STABIL in it. You think this may be the reason for the lead? Anybody.....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Wyo

I think this may still be break-in numbers. I've done oil analysis on my airplanes for over 25 years, and find it takes over 50-75 hours of hard running to get the wear metals stabilized. Blackstone is a good lab - they should be able to help you as you get more time and samples. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I spent a lot of my mis-spent youth in Wheatland WY :>)

Dick

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
One comment: you need to be consistent in how you obtain the sample. You are supposed to get the engine warm, and then begin to drain the oil. It's best to let the stream of oil start, count to 5 and then get your sample. Messy, but they don't want the first or last of the oil in the sump.

Dick

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check that on the method to get the sample -- same way all three times. Sample 3, I probably did not ride around enough to burn off the shot of start up fuel.

Already got an e-mail from Blackstone - they asked me to send in some STABIL and they will check it for lead (or something like it, I would guess), for free. Mighty cool of them, I got to say.

You ever make it back to Wyoming for a visit, stop in for a cool one. I'm just a little south of your old home, in Cheyenne (just a stones throw, almost, off I-25)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
tart up fuel.Already got an e-mail from Blackstone - they asked me to send in some STABIL and they will check it for lead (or something like it, I would guess), for free. Mighty cool of them, I got to say.

You ever make it back to Wyoming for a visit, stop in for a cool one. I'm just a little south of your old home, in Cheyenne (just a stones throw, almost, off I-25)
I've never used Stabil in an airplane, as Avgas lasts for years without going bad. I do put in it my Montana T100 evey fall before iIput it away until spring though.

Very familiar with Cheyenne - used to get to Frontier Days every year. I still have relatives in Wheatland and Laramie, so I get back frequently - I'll give you fair notice when I'm headed home. I live half the year in the other good state - Montana - so you are welcome to ride up to beautiful Flathead Lake and vist us there when it warms up.

Dick

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...so you are welcome to ride up to beautiful Flathead Lake and vist us there when it warms up.

Dick
Many, many years ago, I used to live in Lakeside (about 1/2 way up on the west side, I think - just before Somers?). My dad was in the Air Force and there was a radar site up on Blacktail Mountain. Beautiful up there -- a good 180 from what the scenery is like here in Cheyenne. I just may take you up on that offer some day... ...some day.

Small world.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's great info, please continue to post the results as you get them!
Will do! While the report doesn't do a lot for you after the fact, I think a continued analysis can definitely show a trend, which I hope could help to head off a problem before it happens.

Blackstone seems to be on top of things with the reports - all 3 of mine were turned around in a week or less.

Something I think you'll find interesting - look at the Molybdenum (ain't that the slippery stuff we should avoid on our clutches?). Sample two was from the Mobil 1 4T. 3rd sample is from the Rotella.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Well, there ya go...a perfectly good oil thread about to be tained by the scientific method & objective data...fess up, you're a BITOG OA OIC spy, ain't ya...
:welldone:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Many, many years ago, I used to live in Lakeside (about 1/2 way up on the west side, I think - just before Somers?). My dad was in the Air Force and there was a radar site up on Blacktail Mountain. Beautiful up there -- a good 180 from what the scenery is like here in Cheyenne. I just may take you up on that offer some day... ...some day.

Small world.

It is a small world! I'm quite close to Lakeside. I am North of Polson on the West side of the lake about 5-6 miles out on Rocky Point. I ride the Bonnie to Lakeside all the time for a beer or 3; sometimes lunch too.

Ahh, the scenery - you know why I summer in MT instead of Wheatland :>)

Dick

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Howdy

Posted on my site -- www.reallycooldude.com/oil_1.pdf and www.reallycooldude.com/oil_2.pdf and www.reallycooldude.com/oil_3.pdf -- are the reports from Blackstone Labs for my oil analysis. I am not too pleased with the amount of lead in my oil.

Does any one else have any reports to share for a comparison. Conversely, if you just have any ideas and notions as to why the lead would be there, please share 'em (I do not use any additives). My Bonnie is an 08 with just over 5100 miles. Mods shouldn't affect anything, but they are - No AI, jetted to 122 and 1 shim on the 40 main. Emgo Reverse Cones, side-gapped, and no snorkel. Others, but they are cosmetic.

Wait a minute!!! As soon as as I said I do not use any additives, I just remembered - I just went thru a tank of gas with STABIL in it. You think this may be the reason for the lead? Anybody.....
I WONDER IF THE ROD AND MAIN BEARINGS MIGHT HAVE SOME LEAD IN THEM? old bearings use to.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stabil Analysis

If any cares, here is the report from Blackstone for what is in Stabil (actually, more like, what isn't in it -- water might have had more stuff found in it).

www.reallycooldude.com/stabil.pdf -- the report pretty much confirms that the lead is coming from Bonnie somewhere (I know - the bearings...).

Also, here is an email (cut and pasted) from the folks at Stabil;

My email to them ----

Howdy,

I always have an analysis performed on my oil when I change it. The most recent report shows a high amount of lead is present in my oil. The lab that performs my analysis states that the high lead "could" be caused by fuel additives.

Does Stabil contain anything that would cause my oil to show a higher than normal presence of lead?

Their answer ---

No. STA-BIL contains no lead or substitutes.

Marcel

·
Registered
68 Posts
I took a look at the analysis, I would recommend trying a switch back to mobil 1, that is the point where the lead doubled, the switch to rotella.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts