Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see some photos of where any of you located a "Norton" style return filter on an OIF...I've had them on an OIF cafe bike and my race bike but never on a mostly stock bike... Thanks....

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bike has side covers,the retro 60's type...It appears the filter will fit behind them...

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Similar to Buckshot, but sidways.

I can get a biggish car filter on mine, a bit longer than Buckshot’s I think.

I found a pic and it confirms I get more oil reserve and cooling. RR :wink2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I've been using an Emgo filter. Local fixer has a good price. If you want I'll see if I can get part #. Not on the filter body.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I run mine down under the swingarm between the frame and tyre clamped to the oil tank/frame, out of sight and plenty of room to remove and fit, sorry I don't have a photo,

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hiflo H153, good quality, will fit and in the USA are about $10 shipped from Ebay..Slightly more expensive Champion H101 , K&N153 or Mahle OC5....Yes, all of these fit air cooled belt cam drive and many of the liquid cooled Ducatis. The Hiflo and K&N are available with a 17mm nut on the bottom for easier removal if not a clearance issue..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better still the nut is pierced for safety wiring.

//ocr
Oil filters need to be safety wired for the race track...Most including me use a worm drive hose clamp around the filter near the base wired to the mounting base or something else convenient..And some use a hose clamp with the metal piece like Norton used..

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
...The Hiflo and K&N are available with a 17mm nut on the bottom for easier removal if not a clearance issue..

There have been a number of instances of the oil filter cracking where the nut is welded. I believe that K&N issued a recall a while back, so new stock may be OK. Do a search on the forum for K&N oil filter and you'll see a few threads on the topic.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
That’s right. Multiple failures at the nut. Many won’t use them anymore. The last I heard K&N was not acknowledging the issue, but maybe now they have ?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have used K&N on my Buell and currently on my Ducati...They have the nut but no problems....Perhaps I should use a different brand....The Hiflo and K&N have the same part number...Hmm...Anyways, a filter on the Triumph return line sees very low pressure, maybe 10 psi, perhaps it not an issue....?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Oil filters need to be safety wired for the race track...Most including me use a worm drive hose clamp around the filter near the base wired to the mounting base or something else convenient..And some use a hose clamp with the metal piece like Norton used..
Road or track a filter needs to be secured as any leakage goes straight to the rear tyre.

I use a variation on the hose clamp theme, I made up a finned alloy sleeve clamp which does double duty as a place to secure an anchor wire as well as being an oil cooler.
I did originally use a hose clamp on the sleeve but later fitted a pair of trunions and a proper clamp bolt thru them.
I also made up and fitted a filter in the desmo cam feed on the Duc as they take the feed direct from the pump before the filter (real smart) and use I it the same, as a cooler and locking device.

//ocr

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
The large filters are way superior to the little tube ones, but from the pics, some are not fitted in the optimum place. The filter should ideally be no higher than the pump, otherwise the weight of the oil has to be overcome before it can be pushed up to the tank. Yea, higher works, but not effectively.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts