Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to order the retro side cover kit for my 1972 T-120 and I noticed that they do not come with a hole for the key ignition. I was wondering where everyone puts it since it needs to be relocated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Registered
147 Posts
oif retro cover

Hey mate,

I havent hooked up my electircs yet and i'm running the same covers. I think im either going to make & mount a bracket either under the seat (find some room) or look for another spot. Problem is you will have to open up your seat everytime you want to start stop etc. If you are running mikuni carbs space might be a problem to mount anywhere else without the ignition barrel looking to unsightly.

Let us know where you decide to go.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I not 100% sure, but I think they moved the key up to the headlight bracket around '68 or '69. My '66 has the key and light switch in the side cover. '67 just has the key.

Here's a pic of a '70 Bonnie, which is the last of the non-OIF Bonnies and you can clearly see the key in the headlight bracket. I'd just leave yours there. It's correct and has very little to do with the visual of the bike.
regards,
Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure about other years, but my '72 definitely has the key on the side cover. Look on the top left of the side cover in this pic. (not my bike, but it is a '72)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Dunno how I never noticed that before ...

A simple 'L' with a properly sized hole would hold the key switch just fine ... as for where ... I don't know the wet frames well enough to make a suggestion ...

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I forgot that the early OIF bikes had those bent wire headlight brackets. My '76 has similar brackets to the 66-70 bikes and has the key in the left bracket.

Why not make a socket for your switch and glass it in place. You could use something like a shot glass to produce a nice smooth fiberglass cup. Slide a plastic flange down the shotglass to the correct depth. Then glass over the shotglass (upside down) and over the plastic flange. When it sets, you should be able to pop it off and have a really nice, smooth socket. Now cut a hole in your side cover with a hole saw and glass in the socket from the rear. Drill the socket for your switch. You might want to drill it undersize and then file to the right dimension so you can produce the flat that keeps the switch from rotating. You could even glass in a metal plate with the right hole dimension and shape for the switch when you make the socket. Fill the seam, prime and paint and presto, you have your switch where it belongs and still maintain the retro look.

For a shallow socket, just glue a very smooth big washer to a piece of glass and then glass over it. Make sure you put lots of floor wax or car wax on it so it will release when set.

If you really want to be correct, put the switch on the left front of the glass side cover like it would be on a '67. Check out a '67 parts manual for proper placement of the socket.
regards,
Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts