Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohlins suspension on a Triumph Speedmaster 1200

For those who are impatient: Ohlin's suspension delivers comfort and control to the Triumph Speedmaster, that’s a fact ;)

The motorcycle in the garage is a Triumph from 2018. Remodeled with Triumph original parts as well as a lot of unique custom made parts.
Already at the time of purchase, I knew that I wanted to mount Ohlin's suspension components on the motorcycle.
I drive around 7000km a year on smaller roads with varying standards.
In my case, the suspension from KYB is not enough for me to have a relaxing ride on the road.
I experience the original suspension as stiff and insensitive.

Driver: 80kg with equipment 185cm long

The parts I have chosen to install in the fork are Ohlins Nix 22. The model fits the Triumph Bobber AND the Speedmaster 1200.

Model Number: FKS 219

All installation is done at the local motorcycle workshop. They have lift tables and equipment that I lack.

Nix 22 inserts are fully adjustable.

The rear damper is of model STX 36. Model number TR 821. Please note that this damper is specifically made for the Speedmaster.
Unlike the Bobber, this damper has a progressive spring adapted for a passenger.
However, it lacks the quick adjustment of the preload found on the original Speedmaster damper.

TR 821 has adjustable preload as well as rebound.

All components are mounted and adjusted according to the instruction manual.

Is it working?????

The first impression of sitting on the motorcycle is that it is softer.
Driving gives the feeling of a completely different motorcycle than before.
Unevenness is rounded off. Holes become movements in the suspension system instead of nails in the back bone.
Ground contact is superb.

I will now drive the motorcycle with basic settings 500km before I start fine tuning.
All to allow all components to sit and the driver get used to the new experience.

The natural question: Is it worth the money?

Yes! It will turn the Speedmaster into the lightweight tourer that Triumph describes in the commercials.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am considering the ohlins to replace my rear shock.

I am wondering if you could measure the diameter of the ohlins spring? The reason I ask is because, I have the corbin rear solo seat and, as you are probably aware, the seat interferes with the standard shocky spring and the ohlins looks like a longer and thinner diameter spring which might help with the seat clearance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks very much Nils for such a detailed drawing.

This will give an extra 5mm clearance between the seat and the shocky spring which should be more than enough to clear it as i suspected.

Thanks again

johno

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
Nils -

GREAT information for all of us! Soon checking cost for the parts as I can install all of them myself - have a full shop......

One question: how do you adjust the pre-load on the Ohlin mono-shock?

GN

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spring preload is adjusted using a pin. The Speedmaster original shock has a c hook spanner adjustment. The original is adjusted by preset "clicks". The Ohlin adjustment is a simple thread. The ring on the Ohlin need's a bit of force to turn. You have to overcome the friction and tension of the spring. (there are a small nylon set screw) Adjusting is not an every ride option.

The rear shock is delivered with an 80kg spring. As far as I know this is the only option when you buy the shock. There might be other options but you have to check with your local Ohlin dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
unless its a sports bike suspension + sometimes brakes are lacking + getting a built for you damper + fork innards can be costly but worth it in the long run if you keep your bikes a long time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unless its a sports bike suspension + sometimes brakes are lacking + getting a built for you damper + fork innards can be costly but worth it in the long run if you keep your bikes a long time.
I agree. For me, this bike is a keeper. I will enjoy the suspension upgrade for many years to come. :smile2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First adjustment on the fork:

Ride hight and riders weight.

The Ohlins Nix22 are adapted to the Triumph Bobber. There is a difference in weight between the Bobber and the Speedmaster. This difference will play a part in front ride hight.

The Speedmaster is about 20kg heavier than the Bobber (full tank of fuel added)

To compensate for the added weight I have added 10kg preload to the front spring set up.
This will set the bike perfectly level to the ground.

In my case adjustment on the 80kg spring went from 8 turns of preload to 10 turns of preload =90kg.

This adjustment is inside the Ohlins recommendations. Note: if i would have weight in at 90kg the same spring is used on the Bobber but will run out of adjustment on the Speedmaster. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
Thanks Nils!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice CAD

Looks like you have a little CAD experience eh , I want to get the Ohlins rear shock for my bike before going to the exhaust like most do. I broke my back 15 years ago and know the stock shock will be , well a shock. Crap that's two puns today now... I've read over at the Bobber Forum it is a much better buy than the FOX upgrade and a better deal for comparable quality to the Matris. One bloke said hands down best upgrade for the bike. I'm not going to pony up for the fork upgrades yet though , read that you can get a pretty drastic change just by changing the oil weight in the forks to a 20 and may try that because I'm heavy at 240lbs 190kg. Seems like a low cost option to experiment with first.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also fitted the Ohlins front suspension kit to my Bobber and I agree with the OP. It transforms the front end. The roads in my part of the UK are pretty poor, but with the Ohlins springs and damper rods it really eliminates the constant feedback from a bad road surface. I cant comment on the back end as I have a Nitron shock fitted which is a vast improvement on the throwaway item they fit at the factory.
The only thing I would say if you plan on fitting these yourself is the issue of getting out the bolts that retain the factory damper rod. I didn't have a long enough 8mm socket so I used an 8mm impact socket and a cut down 8mm allen key. Using a DeWalt electric impact driver I was unable to remove the factory bolts. The allen key was twisted like one of those licorice twists. In the end I drilled the bolts out. This was actually easier than I expected but as they are extra fine threads it did delay re-assembly as I was not prepared to pay the £8.57 a pair price plus postage that Triumph wanted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts