Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Ohlins Steering Damper Kit

7K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  TrustyThruxty 
#1 ·
Just pre-ordered this kit from A&J Cycles for my Thruxton that mounts an Ohlins damper to the forks under the triple tree. I’ve been looking for a setup like this for a few months since I’m not crazy about the LSL version that mounts to the side.

Should have it in a few weeks. Will update here once it’s installed.

https://www.ajcyclesny.com/product/ohlins-steering-damper-kit-triumph-thruxton-r/

#2 · (Edited)
Mmmm, I've one compatible with my Thruxton fairing since 2017. Not an Ohlins but it would work too. I believe the original thread started January 6th 2017 by me and Wachuko built for me. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow but it is above the bottom Triple tree.

Attachments

#4 ·
I've recently experienced some wobbling when hitting bumps at higher speeds. Maybe it might have to do with the fact that there's less weight because I removed the cat. Dunno. I probably don't need it, but I'll feel better mentally when riding.

#9 ·
Here is a link from Ari from Motorcyclist explaining steering dampers or stabilizers for those interested.

Are there some better than others.. probably.

I used mine on the drag strip and it worked very well meaning no moments on a very bad piece of Salt in 2016. Big divots, ruts, and crossing parallel lines 2 inches high. Also a couple of unanticipated wheelies at the drag strip when the front wheel didn't come down perfectly straight.

#13 ·
As promised, here are pics of the Ohlins kit. I'm running it really stiff, and it feels great. One thing to note, you have to adjust the bracket so that there's enough clearance on both sides when hitting the fork stops. Takes a couple of tries to get the right position.

Attachments

#15 ·
Just installed mine, took me about an hour of finagling to get it positioned just right. To those saying you don’t need it, you’re right, but you certainly want one. Initial impressions are that it makes a noticeable difference in just daily riding, bike seems much more composed and planted over bumps and grooves in the road. I’ve got mine set about halfway in terms of resistance and you can hardly notice riding around a parking lot but becomes noticeable around 15-20MPH. I wasn’t expecting too much, primarily installed it as a safety net against uncontrollable head wobble but I wouldn’t want to ride the bike without it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.