Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be one for a UK triple owner, an Ohlins shock off a ZXR750.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOOK-ZXR750-Z...hZ009QQcategoryZ10464QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Should be straight bolt up. Quoted length is 350mm. I have a ZX9 shock on my Legend at 346mm, slightly raises rear but quite ok. Tbirders could use Legend dogbones to lower it back to stock. (But may be fine if you're using a 150/80 rear tyre.) About right length for a TBS.

If I wasn't so pleased with my ZX9 unit I'd definitely be bidding on this :D

(No financial interest in the sale.)

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
TBirds ride and handle better with a TBS length shock anyway. It will quicken the steering a tad.

Downside? YMMV but you may find the rear wheel doesn't clear the ground when on centerstand. IT will also lean over further on the sidestand. All due to the extra height of the tail.

·
Registered
201 Posts
"but you may find the rear wheel doesn't clear the ground when on centerstand"
I just found that out! Anyone added extensions to centerstand legs?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"but you may find the rear wheel doesn't clear the ground when on centerstand"
I just found that out! Anyone added extensions to centerstand legs?
Mine does the same Nick, it has pros & cons....

It's now much easier to get on the stand!
More stable on the stand when loaded up -on a car ferry for example, quite wobbly with wheel off the deck otherwise.

I can't rotate the rear wheel on the stand, but at home, at least, I can slip a bit of thin plywood under the legs & get the height back...

I did figure out a way of adjusting the stand mount to raise things a bit....

There's two allen screws on the stand mount plates that snug up said plates against the engine mount plates. (If you have a look, this will make sense:D) On mine there's quite a bit of 'play' here & this rotates the stand & legs quite a bit forward & lower. Adding a bit of sleeving in there would rotate the stand mount & legs rearwards & higher. Snag is the exhausts would have to be dropped down to remove the stand/lower engine mount bolt....so, in light of the above pros also, I've not bothered.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The guy l bought my Sport from has an Ohlin fitted to his Sport. His does not have a remote adjuster and he has put in under the seat. He is thinking about moving it outside the frame as he said it was a pain to adjust. He does not have the keyed seat release. So check it has a remote adjuster as that is the one to have.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
A sport without a keyed seat? I wasnt aware they made any without - you sure it wasnt a regular TBird?

·
Registered
411 Posts
yeh, the guy changed to a legend subframe to lower the seat height, a big job but if you are short, worth it. He must have changed the seat too , cos thinking about it , you could stick with the key set up. Who knows?.

·
Registered
201 Posts
"I did figure out a way of adjusting the stand mount to raise things a bit"
"Snag is the exhausts would have to be dropped down to remove the stand/lower engine mount bolt....so, in light of the above pros also, I've not bothered"
Mike I installed my centerstand last night and my exhaust is still off. I'll check out your suggestion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts