Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and searched but can’t seem to find the answer I’m looking for. does anyone have piggyback ohlins in the rear and ikon front springs and is it a good street setup ? this would be on a 06 Thruxton….thanks in advance.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you're gonna spend the money on the Ohlins then you ought to do more than just fork springs in the front.

At a minimum, I'd think Race-Tech emulators...

I have IKON rears and just installed IKON springs in the front. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but my impression of the fork is that with the stock springs it has too much rebound damping & possibly not enough compression.

But unitl I get a chance to put a few hundred miles on with the new springs, that's only an impression.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
On 2006-12-27 08:23, FEDCT wrote:
I searched and searched but can’t seem to find the answer I’m looking for. does anyone have piggyback ohlins in the rear and ikon front springs and is it a good street setup ? this would be on a 06 Thruxton….thanks in advance.
Just curious why you wouldn't go with Ohlins front and rear?

I have Ikons front and rear, and the progressive fork springs are VERY firm. They're a major improvement over the OEM springs and all but eliminate the front end dive during hard braking. They also deliver great response in the turns. A little jarring on the old front end, if driving any rough roads however.

I still have the factory oil in my forks and want to change it out for 5W fork oil. I have a quart on hand and think it may be just the fine tuning my forks need.

I really wish Triumph would have put a way to drain the oil with the forks in place on these bikes. :mad:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guy's i guess i'll place my order. and bug you again to get a starting point for settings

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just curious why you wouldn't go with Ohlins front and rear?
Does anybody have a part number for 41mm Ohlins forks
or something compatible? Preferably a bolt-on, naturally.
Is it just the CBR front-end swap?

Cheers...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
couldn't find a listing for ohlin fronts, plus i don't want to spend 23 hundred on an inverted front end. then have to change brake and possibly front wheel. or maybe i'm just really confused...........

·
Registered
226 Posts
couldn't find a listing for ohlin fronts, plus i don't want to spend 23 hundred on an inverted front end. then have to change brake and possibly front wheel. or maybe i'm just really confused...........
I'm with you there...it's seems a tough call.
It does seem that the traxxion overhaul is a good option.
I'll call them and see what they say...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the Ohlins piggybacks in the rear & the Ikon springs in the front with a steering dampener.

It is more than suitable for the street....if not a bit of overkill.(the Ohlins that is....)

I am running 15 wt fork oil as well.

It works excellent all around for me.
I commute, hit the canyons & cruise the freeways quite comfortably.

The Race tech emulators would be a good call as well. (But not completely necessary for average riding.)

I had them on my SV650s & they worked fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts