Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wiping my TOR's and felt like a label was coming off the bottom- it was chrome peeling. What can I do? has anyone re-chromed? is there a protector I can coat the bottom with for the time being? is this a defect -(not that it matters after 4 years, I guess)

It is a fairly large area.

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
ouch that's terrible, obviously a factory defect. it couldn't hurt to email that picture to a Triumph Dealer or Customer Service Rep on the company website. if anything there's bound to be places you can have it professionally re-chromed at. i wouldn't trust anything short of a real shop for a high temp item like a muffler

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live hundreds of miles from any coasts! The pipe has about 7000miles on it. I'll try the pipe vendor (triumph dealer) AND Triumph USA...Then-chrome shops...I'm sick over this

·
Registered
90 Posts
From the picture that looks like normal aging/use. My TORs are bubbling at the bottom along with various other cancer holes. So i've been looking around for a replacement option. they might give you a discount off stock pipes but I'd be hard pressed to say they'll have much sympathy over a part no longer in production.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's nothing normal about that, chrome should never separate from the base metal in great lumps like that. It is faulty manufacturing
I called Triumph and the guy was pleasantly useless-made me think if that is their attitude maybe triumph isn't for me...the dealer I bought the pipes from was a lot more accommodating and....said he'd call triumph!!(remember only ONE pipe is having this problem) Maybe he will have better luck- I might also sent him pictures- so we'll see. The dealer by the way was Hermy's in Pennsylvania - truth be told- at this rate I would seriously consider another manufacturer. NOT because they may not cover poor manufacturing- but because of how they problem was dismissed by the rep at "customer service" as sorry bloke- our bad is your problem. I am ASSUMING here, of course, that this problem is clearly a manufacturing defect- which all of you seem to feel.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's nothing normal about that, chrome should never separate from the base metal in great lumps like that. It is faulty manufacturing
From the picture that looks like normal aging/use. My TORs are bubbling at the bottom along with various other cancer holes. So i've been looking around for a replacement option. they might give you a discount off stock pipes but I'd be hard pressed to say they'll have much sympathy over a part no longer in production.
Kweisel- I have never seen anything like that- this isn't pitting- it is sheets of chrome coming off- after 7000 miles? pitted bumpers on 70 year old cars kept outside look better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts