Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, a helmet thread. I am not sure where to put this, but since I ride a Sprint RS, I thought I would ask here.
I currently have a GMax 68S helmet and to me it is a very noisy affair. I like the way it looks and I love the light on the back, but with the Zero Bubble windscreen I have, it creates quite a racket.

I am going to return the helmet due to the XL being too big. I may sell the replacement helmet and get something else. Any ideas? I don't want to spend $800 for a lid, but I was thinking of maybe a Scorpion as I have read some good reviews.

Please give me your opinions and what you like about it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is the same model helmet I have but Mine is matte black. Its a cheap helmet and its not the best quality but i dont find it to be noisy. No noisier that the Scorpion 700. I found that pretty loud.
I love the half tint visor thats on the Gmax. LOVE IT.
You say its too big for you. This could be the issue.
There are three areas on a helmet that make noise. The back from wind turbulance, the front screen from ill fit or closure, and underneath where wind travels up the neck and face area. If its loose, it makes more noise.
Measure your head and order the correct size according to the manufactures specs.
That helmet is really hard to beat for the price. Its got alot of great features for such a cheap helmet.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/gmax/gm68s/
If you notice in this link, it made 2007 helmet of the year and they test all the nice expensive ones.
Scroll down further and see other reviews from owners.

·
Banned
70 Posts
If you want quiet you have to buy a shoei tzr. You can find them cheep on craigslist or online or new .. its basikly a sport touring helmet instead of a sport? Super sport helmet.. if you want lightness you get arai. But from everyone I have talked to the shoie tzr is the one to have if you want quiet. Now I have a shoie tzr and I love it. Yeah its not kool looking or flashy but its damn quiet. I also have a shoie dual sport helmet and that is quieter than the cheep helmets I have and the dual sport helmet has all sorts of air noize making items on it

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
First and foremost, find one that fits you right. I don't fit right in Shoei or HJC. If I fit in Arai, I haven't figured out which one yet; they come with different shell shapes. Is there someplace around where you can try on helmets? I also wear different sizes depending on the manufacturer or even the helmet model.

Secondly on the cheap helmets, they either seem to flow a lot of air and are noisy. Or they don't flow so well and are quieter. My Bell flows more air than my Scorpions and it's louder.

My only complaints about Scorpion are lack of air flow and fogging. Otherwise they are nice helmets for the price.

Would ear plugs help? Most people do wear them.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I tell everyone to wear earplugs, regardless of what hat they wear.

It's amazing how much 'calmer' the ride becomes!

I prefer the ones that are tethered together. They tend not to vanish. And, I drape them over the ignition when I'm at a stop, so I don't forget to put them back in.

And, I'm rather 'thrifty.' I toss them in the silverware basket of the dishwasher every once in a while. They come out as clean as new.

FWIW, I have an Arai Profile/Signet (Long Oval) noggin. When I started looking for a new hat, I couldn't find a Scorpion that fit, but the Shark RSX did. I ended up with a floor model (1/2 price!) Arai Profile in the UK Flag paint.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I just bought the same Gmax helmet and I love it so far. It is the first helmet I've had (out of four total) that fits properly. Although I've only done a few short rides and one fairly long one, it is at least as quiet as my Scorpion 700. Ordered the tint screen yesterday. It may be cheap, but it won Web bike world's "helmet of the year award" in 2007.

Your noise issue is probably related to the helmet being too large as someone already said.

·
Registered
388 Posts
unklfungus>> Definately change the helmet over as one too large for your head will be both noisy and dangerous. My experience with the sprint is that it's not the helmet but the windscreen that's the issue.

I have a double bubble screen too and a schuberth helmet, which are generally regarded as some of the quietest helmets going, and i still get a bit of a roar because the wind blast from the screen hits the bottom of my helmet and around the ears. I have to duck right down to get out of it. It may be worth you seeing if you can get a cheap standard screen from somewhere and see if that's better for you; or a touring one?

Oh and earplugs definately make a big difference, i used 'Max lite' and find them all day comfy.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My local Cycle Gear store will let you road test a helmet for noise.
That's really good, i haven't found anywhere local to me that will do that and it sucks, because noise & venting while riding is one of the key factors in how good a helmet is to use.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My local Cycle Gear store will let you road test a helmet for noise.
There is a Cycle Gear store near my work. I'll check them out when My bike is out of the shop. Gotta park it till I get it looked at, the vibes getting a lot worse now that I am commuting farther.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have found HLC to be quite noisy, but all that I have tried including Shoei seem to be too noisy to wear sans earplugs for any distance, anyway.

But... I read an atricle recently regarding Schuberth helmets in one of the cycle mags, Cycle World or Rider can't recall which one, but the motojournalist was very impressed with the noise level, and even state that, and I loosely quote "Schuberth helmet is the only helmet you can realistically wear w/o earplugs." Article stated somewhere around 80dB noise level which is quite low. This helmet is expensive at around $600 though.

http://www.schuberth.com/en/products/motorcycle/sr1.html

As far as washing earplugs as PushRod stated, I have had good luck wasing the open cell form ones, but the closed cell foam ones swell when washed. I zip them in a pocket and put them in the wash.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Well here anova pic then!:D

I have always been boring when it came to helmet colours, but when i saw young Casey with that colour scheme and then Nolan produced it I thought I must have one!

As well as that my old Suomy was so warn I needed a newby anyway.

I have to say I like it too.:)

DaveM:HappySidecar

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If you want quiet you have to buy a shoei tzr.
I'm going to have to disagree with this part. I have one, God is it comfortable, but noisier than ANY of the other helmets I've owned. For the record that includes several Bieffe's and every model of HJC's CL series 10-15. And this helmet is the one that made me start wearing earplugs. But it's so comfortable. No red spot at the hair line from it rubbing/pressing on my forehead.

I will admit the windshield on your bike does have some say on the matter. Stock or Powerbronze's doublebubble the wind noise was horrible, on my TT, no such problem.

Having recently trashed my TZR I have been looking for a replacement. Shoei discontinued the TZR, so it looks like I'll be trying the new QWEST from Shoei.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
DaveM, isn't your Sprint blue? Your helmet goes with both bikes perfectly!

I love that Daytona. Sorry to threadjack, but that bike is a beauty.
Also apologise for the thread jack :eek:

Yes Roxy my Sprint is blue and yes it matches perfectly, funny about that!:D

And yes I get positive comments everywhere I go about the Daytona's good looks:)

DaveM:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts