Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

This is not Triumph related, but I really respect your thoughts, so I am posting here.

My father (73 years-old) bought a brand new 2007 Suzuki Eiger Automatic Quad 4x4 one week ago. This morning, while hunting in WVA with his brother/nephews he wrecked. He is OK with some scratches.

The throttle stuck wide open, threw him off, and hit a couple of trees before turning onto its side. I have not seen the bike yet, but he says a rim was bent, plastic broken, brush guard bent, and definitely some front end suspension problems.

His nephew was with him with a video camera. While he did not get the wreck on tape, he did get video of the throttle stuck open.

My question: What should we do?

He simply wants to return the defective bike for a brand new one. He does not want this one "fixed".

We have not contacted the dealership yet, but I am sure they will try to get out of anything they can.

We do not want to bring lawyers into this, but we will if necessary.

Should we try to sue Suzuki for millions?

Have any of you been in this type of situation before? Thanks for reading this post. I am anxious to hear what you guys think about this event.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You should be embarrassed to post something like this on a classy site like Triumphrat.net

From your description, your father only sustained scratches. Why would you want anything beyond repair or replacement of the quad?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Al,

Thanks for the input....

As I said we do not want to have to even consult a lawyer. Suing Suzuki for millions was a joke and I should have labeled it such. (Although that would be the first thought of many people in our increasingly litigious society)

I don't want anyone to think I am trying to get rich. I am just looking for any type of input I can get from anyone who has been in a position where a faulty bike has lead to a wrecked bike.

I obviously need to contact the dealership when my dad gets home. I was just hoping for any advice before then.

Thanks again,

Ryan

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to bring up an old, off-topic post, but I feel that I started it and should end it.

My father received a brand-new quad from Suzuki last week. He is happy with the outcome, but it took a long time to get the bike.

Back in December we made arrangements for a Suzuki rep to look at the quad at the dealership. It took many calls to set-up a time. The rep rode the quad around for about an hour (seemed very thorough) and returned saying "There is nothing wrong with this quad." He wanted to get away quickly, but we informed him that we had a video of the throttle malfunctioning.

(The video turned-out to be an "after the fact" thing when the bike was upright after the wreck. The video clearly showed that when the throttle was thumbed, it would not return. It stuck open.)

He did not want to watch it initially, but we repeatedly insisted and he gave in. He said nothing during the viewing. My dad and I asked him what he thought. All he would say is that he would make a note of it in his report.

We went outside to get the quad ready to take home. The rep came back out after a few minutes and said he wanted to look at the throttle. We thought we might be getting somewhere. He opened the throttle, took pictures of everything, and quickly pulled out a bottle of WD40 and blasted the heck out of the housing before we even knew what was going on.

I told him to stop and asked him what he was doing. He gave me some BS line about how he likes to lube things up after he takes them apart. We took the quad and told him to file his report and get in touch with us. We really thought we were getting screwed.

After about a month and a half of Suzuki not answering our calls, they got in touch with us saying that they would be giving my dad a new quad. They finally delivered last week.

To sum it up, we really had to get on their butts to get a new bike. It seemed like they were really wanting us to give-up. If I am ever in this position again, I will definitely get in touch with a lawyer.

Sorry for the long story that nobody will care about.

- Ryan

·
Read Only
296 Posts
Hey Rhinoe,

I missed this post the first time round. Glad your pop is ok and got a new quad sorted eventually. If I was you I would've had nephews camcorder handy to keep tabs on the rep while he inspected it. Sounds like a sneaky SOB. Hindsight and all that.

Hope pop enjoys the new quad.

Wayne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts