Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

All geared up and ready to go. Driving down to Dallas with the bike in the pickup and then biking to Arizona.
I am a little concerned about crossing the mountains in New Mexico. Is there usually a lot of snow then?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm not sure about the snow, but Texas can have some very harsh weather in February.

Sometimes we get icy roads. Sometimes it could get in the 20's.

For that time of year, you've better have some very good cold weather gear that you field tested.

Riding chilled is just as bad as riding drunk.

Don't mean to sound negative, but just be cautious.

Good looking bike. I like your PacSafe net. I have the same. Is your gear in a waterproof sack?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am nicely set up with cold weather gear now, thanks to santa. I have a heated vest and grips are on the way. I have been riding here in Ontario through December so I'm getting used to it.
I plan to put my gear in tough contractor grade garbage bags.
Do you use yourPac-Safe on your bike? I thought that was a one-off idea!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Getting out of Texas shouldn't be a problem. We normally have plenty of warning before a bad front comes through.

I don't know about altitude riding in winter, but I'm sure boards that focus on touring can help. I'm on a board here that can probably help you. Two Wheeled Texans at http://twtex.com/

Can't wait to hear about your trip. I HATE cold. Winter sucks, and 98 degrees is better than 35 degrees.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Do you use yourPac-Safe on your bike? I thought that was a one-off idea!
I've used the PacSafe since spring. I've always had the Hepco Becker side bags but often need the extra space while traveling for work. Although the Pacsafe is nice for security, it did become a pain as often as I needed it. I finally got the H-P rear 48 liter bag that I use when traveling. What a NICE improvement.

Do you find the stock seat comfortable for long rides? How many miles do you plan to cover in a day?

Yes, we get warnings about fronts coming in, but your schedule may not allow for delays. February is the last month I'd plan a long trip. Can't you wait till spring?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in construction here in Ontario. The only time I can take off is winter. Either I go in Feb or I don't go. I have convinced a friend of mine who is working at the big diamond mine in the Northwest Territories to meet me in Phoenix.

Is this really a bad plan? Now I'm worried.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I'd say it is a bad plan.

At best, it will just be miserably cold with decent days scattered throughout.

At worst it will be dangerous and unrideable.

Not to sound negative, but it would really be wise to do it another time of year (ie 3 months later).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yikes! Sweatmachine, is it just the mountains that are so treacherous, or Texas itself? Like I said I am in construction, so this is the ONLY time I have for a motorcycle trip. Maybe I should do Phoenix, California? Or Florida, Louisiana? Do you think those might be better choices?

Your help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
bonnienewbie,
You would be better off driving to Phoenix and then starting your riding. The weather in southern Az is usually great for riding in the winter. I lived in Tucson for 6 years and was able to ride year round most of the time. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just stay flexible with your plans and be smart. If you need to take the long way around, take the long way around. Have fun!

Great looking bike btw, love those blue headers. :cool:

[ This message was edited by: pabonne on 2006-12-30 08:36 ]

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm with sweatmachine on this one. Too risky.

Much smarter to take the bike to the Phoenix area, ride south of there, ride west of there (CA) and that's a lot of riding in BEAUTIFUL country in great weather.

There's a fine line between being brave and being rightfully cautious. All of us want to have fun, have adventure and ride, ride , ride. So have your cake and eat it too by just starting your riding in Phoenix.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all so much for your help with this!

What about Brownsville, Corpus Christi, San Antonia, etc? February good there? I'd really like to see some of Texas. Maybe I'll drive down there, ride around, then take the bike through the mountains in the truck. Does that sound like a good plan?

P.S. pabonne, I had the AI removed and everything! I do't know why those things are so blue.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Feb. may not be too bad if you take the South route, i.e., I-10 out of Houston through El Passo. You could go South out of Dallas on I-35 to San Antonio and then pick up I-10. If you go all the way in to Tucson on I-10, you can pick up the parkway on up to Phoenix. There is always a chance of snow and cold along that way as well as the North route, but is is much less. Just my humble opinion being a Texan who was stationed in Arizona in a prior life.

Chuck

·
Registered
537 Posts
Agree. Going south from Dallas is much better but not guaranteed.

I used to shoot a lot of action pistol competition and went to San Antonio and Corpus during the winter months for matches. It can get VERY cold there too. But you should have a much better chance of missing ice and snow taking the southern route.

Still, I'm not promising anything.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2006-12-30 10:03, bonnienewbie wrote:
What about Brownsville, Corpus Christi, San Antonia, etc? February good there?
I was going to suggest running south, but it sounded like you are meeting a buddy somewhere in between. Might even check on dipping down into Mexico. Some beautiful areas to ride down there.

Our coast isn't a beautiful coast, but it is nice and our family heads down ever now and again in the winter. I think you can find more interesting areas to ride by staying west. Big Bend is very popular, and probably better in February than August. ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for the help, guys. I guess that I am going to travel by truck with sidetrips on the bike until I hit Phoenix where I am meeting up with my buddy who is flying in from NWT. There he will rent a bike then on to California I guess.

Its been a crazy year and I am really looking forward to the trip. I will be travelling for about a month total.

I will keep you posted! :-D

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
if you're coming to Austin drop me a line, I'd love to ride with you a stretch, or if you need maintainance, my tools and bike jack are yours. If you need a place to stay in Austin consider mi casa su casa.

PM me if you'd like my address/phone number, etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts