Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to balance my carbs, and after numerous approaches to turning the sync screw, I gave up. I bent a screwdriver, but really didn't have enough clearance to turn the screw once it was in there.

How are you guys turning the carb screw?? Am I missing something? I'm just following the Haynes manual.

Also, I have a CA model. On each cylinder there are two tubes coming off the carb. I use the one closest to the cylinder for the carb syncer. Is it necessary to disconnect the other tubes and plug them while syncing? Haynes did not mention it, but I stumbled on that idea in a thread here.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Yes, you need to disconnect the evap system when you balance the carbs. Leaving it connected is like connecting the carbs together with a vacuum line. Makes balancing them very difficult.

I have a right angle screwdriver that sort of works to balance the carbs. Sort of. Well enough, I guess.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
I use a mini-ratchet with a 2-inch long Phillips bit.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heh, yep. I went to to Sears. I ended up buying the three-pack set for $20...I figure, in the next ten years, one of the offset heads will solve an annoying problem...

·
Registered
779 Posts
I got tired of messing with the balance screw and made up a new one with a larger diameter knurled head (hollowed out for wieght of course). easy adjustment by hand with the gas tank in place.

the balance screw is a odd ball thread pitch for the diameter so I could not find any thing 'off the shelf'.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I got tired of messing with the balance screw and made up a new one with a larger diameter knurled head (hollowed out for wieght of course). easy adjustment by hand with the gas tank in place.

the balance screw is a odd ball thread pitch for the diameter so I could not find any thing 'off the shelf'.

Slick idea - I like the way you think!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts