Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any websites that sale oem parts for the new Bonni's?

I have narrowed down my neutral light problem to the little switch that is on the under belly of the engine. One wire conencts to it. This little switch is a plunger of sorts. All part of the safety setup of no start when bike is in gear. Mine is faulty apparently, hence why my neutral light will not light up when in N. Finally getting back to this little prob, since I have the bike up on the jack. Installed my Christmas presents overt his past weekend. Chrome cam cover and chain gaurd. Its to cold here lately to ride, so I amd spending time with my bike int he garage. lol

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Bike Bandit is the place to go. I have ordered parts from them and they are even faster than going to the local dealer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I look ed at that site, but couldnt find the neutral switch. I think I founf the sub-harness for it, but not thew actual switch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am pretty sure its the switch.

I removed it (Note to anyone else who does this, put a drop cloth down, some oil will spill out without that switch in place.) lol

I tried grounding the switch while conected to the wire, to the engine casing. No N light. I then grounded the wire without the switch to the engine and got an N light.

Upon inspection the switch looked all gunked up (no better term came to mind there) plus the little plunger part of the switch was very stiff. I almost could not get it to come back up, even with a pair of pliers. So I assumed thats the problem.

My local dealer ordered one for me. It just came in today. A whopping 21 bucks. Plus I need to replace the oil that spilled out. The amount of oil that came out, was only enough to fill a paint spray can cap. Maybe a little more, but it did the trick to catch it for me. After making the intial mess on the floor. I am thinking the bike needs to be tilted forward on the front wheel when replacing this part.... Odd though that the oil level is still within the range of those two lines, in my little none usefull oil window.

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
THe Bike Bandit web site is fascinating. Thanks for the lead. However, looking at the prices for representative parts, it looks like ordering each individual part for a T100 or Scrambler would cost about two or three times the total cost of an assembled bike. The gas tank is U.S. $720 and the frame is over $1,500. The front rim is more than $600, the cyulinder head is over $1,500 and the oil cooler is nearly $600, and so forth.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well keep in mind that the prices listed on bikebandit are identical to what you should be charged by a dealer, so regardless of where you go, the OE stuff's gonna be expensive.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
My local dealer, Mr. Motorcycle, is extremely slow to order and deliver OEM Triumph parts, so I use PJ's Triumph in Albuquerque, NM, at 505 323-6700. Shippping is extremely fast. It's unusual for parts deliveries from them to take much more than a week as they submit orders electronically and parts are quickly drop shipped from the warehouse in Georgia.

·
Registered
83 Posts
On 2007-01-10 19:49, Scrambler900 wrote:
...it looks like ordering each individual part for a T100 or Scrambler would cost about two or three times the total cost of an assembled bike. The gas tank is U.S. $720 and the frame is over $1,500. The front rim is more than $600, the cyulinder head is over $1,500 and the oil cooler is nearly $600, and so forth.
Have you made the same comparisons with a new car dealer? I once tried to duplicate a 'sport type' front seat for an economy car I had. I was many thousands of dollars of separate parts. There was a extremely large demand for the 'salvage yard' version of this product at the time.

Any type vehicle (from any dealer) will cost much more as parts. It is also one of the maddening things about building kit bikes when one doesn't choose to use junk yard parts. The common excuse for this is inventory issues. But realistically knowing you are the sole supply for a specific part effects the price more than the dealers admit.

As to the original request for alternative dealers:
In the old days I felt that I should support my local dealer since I figured it would be a two way street. Since I got the MC bug 10 years ago and found that no one wants to actually stock any parts anymore, I determined that they did not deserve this loyalty and I buy 100% of my parts online.
For my Bonneville I use this dealer:
http://www.motorcyclestore.us/triumph/
If you feel that the menus do not list the parts you want, simply call them. They will get it to you.

Mike C.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts