Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on whether or not the OEM LED Fog Lights are worth the $? (Tiger 800 XRx...if that matters.)

The cost of the lights + labor seems high, I guess the fuel tank has to be removed to wire them in.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have them on my Explorer. They're nice to have as an extra warning to idiot car drivers, but they're pretty pricy. Don't know how good they are in the dark (We only get an hour of darkness right now and can't drive in winter)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went with Denalis on my 2015 XCx. That was a slightly harder install with having to route the lines. IF you buy the OEM kit and have at least a 2015 its really easy as I saw all the connectors on the left and right sides of the radiators when installing my Denalis. My XCx had the main harness already installed under the tank for the lights so no need to lift the tank. It would have been truly a plug and play.... Probably can be done in under an hour....

But for the price and brightness, I went aftermarket...

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've had both the OE halogens & the OE LEDs on my TEX and LEDs are the way to go. They light up the road & the ditches at night from fence row to fence row. In the daylight they make you much more visible to oncoming traffic. For me they are a must have.

My advice is to buy them with the bike & talk your dealer into installing them for free. My dealer gives a 10% discount on all accessories purchased with a new bike & installs them for free. The dealer installed accessories on a new bike come with a 2 year warranty. If you mount them yourself they only have the standard warranty.

If you do decide to install yourself there is no need to remove the tank. You can fish the cable through the left side of the tank. The OE lights may be a bit higher priced than some of the aftermarket ones, but they are high quality & you get the OE switches & wire harness which makes thing look better & function right without any hassle...

·
Registered
248 Posts
i wouldnt pay to have them installed unless you are really bad with a wrench.
I have the OEM LED on my '14 and they are very nice at night. I also use them during the day sometimes to make me more obvious to other drivers.

In general LEDs are brighter, but dont cast the beam as far down the road. So it kinda depends on what youre looking for.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have the original halogen OE fog lights on my T800 and installed them myself. I don't think those are still available but I could be wrong.

The longer part of the exercise was figuring out just what had to come off and what didn't. Now that we have access to the Triumph website for downloads of instructions and 5 years of posts on this website since I put them on my bike, there's more info.

I like these a LOT, but especially because with the heated grips I get the two buttons on the left hand bar. I also appreciate the very secure integration of the wiring via plugs. Don't be intimidated, it's good to know how to take this apart and lift the tank. You don't have to fully remove it, though that is the safer thing to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts