Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cable running to the grip on clutch side has pulled out of the housing. Does anyone know how easy a job it is to reconnect, It appears to go into the switch housing unit next to the horn switch etc. I am not sure whether i need to open up this unit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i just fitted a pair of OEM heated grips i bought on e-bay,and the left hand side one threads through the handlebars and connects behind the fairing with 2 small connectors,all you can do with yours is trace the wires by opening up the switch cluster on the left and see where the wires go,its a very easy job,i fitted mine in about 1/2 hour,inc stripping all the fairing off and rebuilding it.

if the wire goes throught the handlebars and you have to rethread it,cut up a metal coat hanger and make a hook out of it to reach through the hole in the handlbars it works a treat.

i wish i had fitted them years ago,they are worth their weight in gold

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marauder
Thanks for that. The cable has broken where it enters the switch cluster. I havent a clue what happens inside the cluster or how to open the cluster and whether it then connects inside the bar. I am reluctant to open the cluster in case springs/switches all pop out and then i really will be in a mess.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i would very much doubt there is anything in there that will spring out,i have had my switch cluster off loads of times and it just hangs down while i work on the bike,you shouldnt have any problems. :-D

[ This message was edited by: marauder2 on 2007-03-02 11:58 ]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As youve guessed im not that mechanically minded but am learning to wield a spannner or two. Have just sussed out that the cable goes from the switch through a small hole in the bars NOT the housing. I reckon that the cable has become detached from the grip. All i need to know now is whether the cable is supplied permanently fixed to the grip or whether i can just remove the grip and reconnect the wire. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wire is permanently attached to the grip, however if it broke outside the grip you can reconnect it. My guess is, you'll be getting a new grip. :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How does the grip come off. I have tried taking off the bar end and undoing the small screw underneath at the opposite end with no luck,. Ifits glued how does it come off?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ther are two screws holding it on- one is opposite from the one you found. Then it will slide off(after you tale off the bar end weight). :-D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Found the second screw underneath. Grip just slides off. Wire was broken about 3 inches along so I was able to just rejoin and its all up and running fine. Thanks for the input fellas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts