Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for the odometer numbers on the new Bonneville's not to be aligned? I know that used to be the first sign that an odometer had been tampered with on a car or truck. The reason I ask is that there seem to be more than a couple of exceptionally low mileage Bonneville's for sale out there with crooked odometer readings.

·
30,395 Posts
Here's a pic of my odo

I know mine has not been tampered with. The numbers aren't perferctly aligned I guess, but they're fairly close. Dunno really.

·
30,395 Posts
I doubt if there is anything wrong - they jiggle about as you ride :eek:. It should be quite obvious if they have taken apart the clock to tamper with it.

These days there are simply loads of folks who buy bikes, and then don't ride them. :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
In another life I worked in a car yard and have given a few cars 'haircuts' as we used to call it. The easiest way to check if this has happened is firstly to check all the screws holding the speedometer together, to see if anyone has had a screwdriver on them. There are lots of myths about using electric drills in reverse etc etc to rewind clocks but the truth is, analogue speedo digits will only run in one direction and the only way to give them a haircut is to pull the speedo apart and force the numbers back, against the ratchet. An easy indication that this has happened is that the first 2 digits NEVER line up properly, but the last 3 are normally OK. Obviously, no-one ever bothers to mess with the last 3.

When the yard I worked in bought a car, it was easy to tell the 'clocked' ones. If a car came in with low mileage but worn pedal rubbers, steering wheel, gear lever knob, floormats etc, we knew it was a lemon! The same thing, should apply on your bike, ie worn grips and footpegs, seat etc.

Also, rocker box gaskets will indicate if it has had it`s first major service or not and the the state of the drain plug should give an indicator of how many oil changes the bike has had.

The finish on these bikes is good (compared to older Triumphs) so it`s not too hard to make a 50,000 km Bonneville look like a 5,000km Bonneville and add a grand to the selling price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts