Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, ya'll. Sorry it's been awhile since I ve posted we have had a few medical problems to worry about here.
I went to work this morning with 13,600 miles on the odometer when I started it to go home it reads 30,506 miles!
I liker riding but thats is a lot for one day. I have no other problems and all the instruments are working correctly. All the fuses are good, I have not raised the tank to look under there yet. Any ideas? The dealer said he would call Triumph tomorrow and see if they have any. (Trip meters also read 1006 and should have only been 80.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know when I first got mine (7/04) every time I got the gauges wet they did strange things. I think the water goes down the wires and makes problems.I think they put some kind of wire sealer on them.I hope this helps.Oh by the way 28,000 real mi. :)

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
> I went to work this morning with 13,600 miles on the odometer when I started it to go home it reads 30,506 miles!

Oh my. Texans are always bragging about the size of their state. :)

I once overheard two Texas ranchers boasting about the size of their spreads. It went on for hours. Finally, one said: "Why, my place is so big, I can get in my pickup before dawn and drive all day and half the next night, and still not reach the other side."

The second rancher replied: "Yup, I had a truck like that once." :-D

But seriously, the only things that come to mind are an internal malfunction of the electronics (nothing outside the nacelle is going to affect the count while the bike is off, other than maybe a lightning strike or nuclear --excuse me, nuke-yuh-ler in Texan-- detonation) or else somebody swapped their instrument with yours to make their bike appear to have lower mileage for some prospective buyer.

At first I thought it might have simply slipped and begun displaying kilometers instead of miles, but the math doesn't add up on either the main or trip odometers. The internal malfunction is logically more likely, but I'm only half kidding about the swap notion.

I actually had a car battery stolen that way once. The thief replaced it with an old one, right in the middle of a public parking lot in midday, as far as we could figure afterward. It had enough capacity to start that afternoon and get me home from work without raising suspicion, but the next morning it was dead as could be. Opened the hood to see why a month-old Diehard had died so hard, and instead there was a greasy old no-name unit with corrosion flaking off everywhere!

Good luck.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Could you get some sort of an iron-butt patch for that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked all the fuses and all the connections I could,except under the tank. Rode to work and everything else works correctly, even the odometer counts up the correct amont of miles. It just is up at 30,516. Dealer said they called Triumph and that they should replace Speedometer, so they are putting one on order.
I think that would be a numb butt instead of iron.
This is the only problem we have had with both Rockets or the Bonnie soI can't complain. Both the Rockets were great on the eight state 3,000 mile trip in August, graet bikes. I did need a new front tire when I got back.

Ride safe and thanks
Steve

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also got my R3 7/04 and got 37,836 miles. I haven't had any problems with my speedo. I on my second digital oil temp gage, they couldn't take running in the rain well.

Freddie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh my. Texans are always bragging about the size of their state. :)

Good luck.
well, a south Louisiana swamp can be pretty big if you're lost in the middle of it late at night.

[ This message was edited by: curverunner on 2006-12-09 15:30 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts