Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just doing a bit of tidying up of my dash area on my 98 Legend and the gauges bracket is going to be re powder coated but need to remove the speedo from the bracket. The rev counter comes out easily but the speedo not so as the odo thumb wheel stops me. Anyone out there know how its held on to speedo body?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I think one type has a tiny screw recessed down the centre of the thumbwheel. Another looks like it's simply a push pull fit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried all sorts of jewellers screw dirives,allen, flat and star but no joy, dont want to pull too hard and break something!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
My Tbird fiche showed the knob and a fixing screw down the centre but I don't this is correct for some models at least. If you can't actually see any kind of screw down the centre, shining a torch down there?, then it really must pull off as it's the only way the speedo housing will come off imo.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I think there are two different types since I have heard some people on here say that they do or don't have the Coventry logo on the instrument faces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will take a much closer look, but I just cant get over what a brilliant site this is made up, may I say, by such a great bunch of folk running it and helping others by it. I am truly blown away but I always believed Triumph owners were the salt of the earth!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GOT IT OFF! It was me being a big Jesse, a bit more brute force and off it came just a press fit.:Happy:

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
All models (and there were at least 2 manufacturers) of the speedo that I have seen have had the small cross head screw - the press fit is new to me - guessing this must have been a late change. IIRC even with the screw removed it takes a bit of a tug to remove it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts